Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never steam juiced them but it most likely would not be far off from apples with the amount of juice extraction. Those pears will really throw some pulp.

Think i may get a few and give the ole steamer/juicer a trial run with them and just see how it goes.

I always wanted to try to make a good pear wine- for a dense 3 gallon batch what would be the poundage needed?

I have made 2 pear wines using the steam-juicer. Both were beautiful but benefited from an F-Pac. Otherwise there was very little flavor. As to the amount of juice, if the pears are a juicy variety, they will produce a large amount of juice. If they are a cooking variety, the quantity of juice is much smaller.

Waldo it must have been good, it's all gone! The first 3 months it wasn't very good, but after that turned out nicely.

I have 5 gallons of pear that I started last September and am still waiting for it to clear. It does have a nice pear taste when I sample it at rackings - I did this before I had a juicer so just used whole fruit in the fermenter - wonder if that method gives pear a better flavor? I was planning to use the juicer next time.

Waldo,
I steam juiced mine and it turned out really well. I started my batch in February and will be bottling soon. Although mine does not have a lot of pear flavor, it is trying its best to taste like a chablis, which I'm okay with. The next batch will definitely have an f-pac.

Wayne said:
I have 5 gallons of pear that I started last September and am still waiting for it to clear. It does have a nice pear taste when I sample it at rackings - I did this before I had a juicer so just used whole fruit in the fermenter - wonder if that method gives pear a better flavor? I was planning to use the juicer next time.

Wayne,
Do you think it has a pectin haze? I started mine in February and it has been clear since mid-April. I did go heavy on the pectic enzyme for this very reason though. If you haven't already, I would degass it good and hit it with another dose of pectic enzyme. It won't hurt.

Eland - that sounds like a good idea. I have been trying to let it degass naturally but it was still fizzing at the last racking. I have a vacuum pump coming from Ebay to set up a system like in Wade's tutorial and think I will do as you suggest - degas and try some more pectic enzyme
Wayne

I have bought pear wine in the passed and it was very delicate in flavor..don't have a steamer so I will try it like I made my peach wine..........the old fashion way................I 'll do a 3gallonn batch....

Joeswine that is why I thought of trying the juicer (not the steam juicer). However my game plan is to make a mead which will have some added spices so the pear will be some what masked anyway. HMMMMMMM........... In the mean time I'll just keep following the thread and make some fresh pear juice just to taste, need to get the right mix of pears.
smiley4.gif

VC

well the way I make mine is strictly fresh juice but I never gave a thought to the different types of pears anyone got a suggestion other than Bartlet's their hard as a rock ...but the games afoot.....I use my Cuisinart like a juicer...does OK ......................

Started my oaked pear in October using pear juice from a local cider mill. In April I backweetened(4 oz.gal)in attempt to bring the light pear flavor more forward. Ready to bottle!

like i stated pear is very delicate,powered chestnuts sounds very good with it,,,,,this year PINEAPPLE,PEAR and cranberry wines,....

I have a pear wine going right now.

1) What acid level do I want? I have the accuvin TA test kit.

2) What do you guys think about oak on pear?

(the SG information and a recipe for five gallons of perry is towards the end of the article)

Goodfella said:
I am trying to decide what oak to use on this.... any suggestions?

I would recommend an American oak, ligt or medium toast. And dont leave it in too long. You just want a subtle hint of oak in the Pear

Latest posts

Back