Pear Wine Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eland

Reaction score
I started this six gallon batch of pear last Tuesday. The recipe I used and specifics are as follows:

3 Gallons Pear Juice From Steamed Pears (27lbs)
1 tsp Ascorbic Acid
5 tsp Acid Blend
4 tsp Pectic Enzyme
3/4 tsp Grape Tannin
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp yeast energizer
1/4 tsp K-Meta
9 lbs Sugar
1 Can White Grape Concentrate
2 packs of Cotes De Blanc Yeast - I divided into two, three gallon batches. The beginning sg was 1.084. I rehydrated the yeast and pitched 12 hrs after adding pectic enzyme.

The pear juice waiting on the yeast.
DSCF11071.jpg

The yeast after 24hrs.
DSCF11111.jpg

Transferred to secondary on 01/25/09. The airlocks are merrily bubbling away.
DSCF11221-1-1.jpg

Congrats !
smiley20.gif

How about more info on ingretients?

What was the gravity when you racked?

Ive made this before very delicate need to not over power the flavor withalachol at the very least have a pear fpac in waiting..

tepe said:
Congrats !
smiley20.gif

How about more info on ingretients?

What was the gravity when you racked?

Tepe, I will post the recipe and other specifics tonight when I get home. I don't have my notes with me at the moment. I can tell you however, that the starting sg was 1.084 and I transferred it at 1.00.

Looking good there Eland. Keep the pics coming please. I've got a can of VH Pear in the pantry just waiting to become wine. I'll definitely be following your posts.

Ken

An update on this wine:
I racked again on 02/24/08 into another secondary. The 1 gallon jug was very clear already, while the 5 gallon carboy is still somewhat hazy. The taste was actually pretty good and somewhere between a riesling and a chablis.

I put 1oz of medium Hungarian oak in the gallon jug and will blend it with the 5 gallons when I rack again in a few weeks. I'm really hoping to get a very hint of oak after it has aged a bit. Even though it was good to me dry, I may sweeten just a bit to bring out a bit more of the pear.

Eland,

How long did it take to do 27# of pears via the steamer/juices?
smiley25.gif

Looking good elad..gotta ask though. What was the addition of ascorbic acid for at initial fermentation?

I use ascorbic acid with fruits like this in primary also to prevent the must from browning. Eland, I also did a pear wine and can second the taste of Chablis. it is almost 4 years old now and only have 1 bottle left and will have to start another batch eventually, I think it came out pretty darn good for using canned pears that I got on a very good sale at Shop Rite with a Can-Can sale!

tepe said:
Eland,

How long did it take to do 27# of pears via the steamer/juices?
smiley25.gif

Tepe, if I remember correctly, it took me about six hours to finish that batch.

Waldo, as Wade mentioned, I used the ascorbic acid to prevent browning.

WOW !

6 hrs to get juice from 27# of peaches.

Is that a normal time even for other fruit?

tepe this weeks wine meeting ,you'll be tasting my new peach wine lbs. of peaches process in 4/5 hrs. with a plan prior to implementation ,,,there was peach juice in my hair and mostly in the straining bag and bucket but not a hard time frame to work in.....

You will also "taste" my Peach wine I just bottled.

Is this how you make Apple Wine ??
NEAT PRESS !!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Kinda looks like Waldo...

20090304_132721_erp-ckn76h+.jpg

Latest posts

Back