Pear Juice Vs. Fresh Pear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radman68

Junior
Reaction score
I'm a wine making newbie and was wondering one thing. I've read on this and other sites where pear has a subtle taste and very little water should be added when making pear wine. My question is this, instead of using 20-30 lbs of fresh pears, pressing them down or freezing them, and pressing, why can't I use cans of pear juice? Please give me your expert thoughts and pros/cons.
Thanks!!

Hey Radman, I've done both.
The Pear juice has a tonne of pulp, and I lost approximately 50% of my volume to lees.
The pressed pears had a nearly clear juice which had very little lees.

Just my experience so far!

I had a heck of a time getting my pear wine to clear. I used a Jack Keller recipe where he said to add water and ferment on the pulp in a strainer bag. I used 18 lbs of pears for a three gallon batch, and it has been 6 months and its still dropping lees. Two additions of sparkeloid has done nothing. But I agree with others here, its very subtle (bland) if not pure juice.

Last edited:
If you can buy pear juice, that is not fresh it would likely give you an idea of what a fresh pressed pear cider/wine would be like. However, I would think that freshly pressed pears would be just about as good as it gets for making a fermented pear drink.

Back