Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another little tactic to keep a ferment cool is to set the vat in one of those old wash tubs and add water and ice to the tub. Sometimes this is easier than using the ice bombs in the vat itself.

I did manage to fill the 7 gallon carboy. Yesterday afternoon I racked into a 6 gallon carboy. It is filled to within 1 1/4 of the neck of the carboy. It's still cloudy but mostly clear. I'll rack again when more sediment settles out. I'm guessing after back sweetening I'll end with 6 gallons. Very strong peach smell now.

That sounds good. Bulk age it until the flavor comes forward. I would say it might be 9 months--taste it as it ages and when you're happy with the flavor, and it's nice and clear, then bottle. It took our peach 12 months for the flavor to be perfect.

The peach wine has a really nice color and has been dropping light sediment. It's not clear yet but I can tell by the color this will be a beautiful Peach colored wine.

How is this going for you?
I have over 30lbs of frozen peaches (cut up, de-stone and all that) that I want to start soon.

I was going to use Blanc de Cotes but instead ordered D47 for the yeast based on the yeast chart.

How is this going for you?
I have over 30lbs of frozen peaches (cut up, de-stone and all that) that I want to start soon.

I was going to use Blanc de Cotes but instead ordered D47 for the yeast based on the yeast chart.

Funny you mention this. As I was driving into work this am, I thought to myself that I should probably rack this off any additional lees. I'll check after work and let you know, it could probably wait a while. Last I looked at it, the color was unbelievable.

BTW - where did you get the white grape/peach concentrate?
My local supermarkets carry the Welch's white grape concentrate cans but nothing about peach....

Of the 3 or 4 major chain stores near me, only one carries the white grape-peach. Keep looking. ;)

Jim, is it the one shown in the link I posted?
I thought you guys were talking about the frozen concentrate that comes in a small can (made of paper).

Frozen concentrate (with added water). Although, looking at the ingredients of your link, I don't think you'd have any issues using it. You may have to add sugar to preserve your ABV though.

Figured I would update this thread. I racked off any lees that have setteld on the 25th of October. The peach is still a little cloudy. I added some pectic enzyme at the same time. Has a wonderful peach smell. I think this will be a winner. I already have this on my todo list again for next year.

Did you back sweeten?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I've been trying to figure out proper use of Pectic enzyme for about a month. So far I THINK that both active fermentation and Kmeta inactivates it. That's why when you are starting a fruit wine you add kmeta, wait 12 hrs add PE wait 12 hrs than toss the yeast in. If I am wrong hopefully someone with a good science background will speak up cause like I said I'm struggling with that right now since I add fruit to almost all my wines. I have fruit wines from 6 months back that are cloudy I think bec I add PE at wrong time. Currently I wait about 1 month post rack with Kmeta, stir in a good dose of PE, then wait till correct rack time to add more Kmeta. that gives the wine a chance to settle from the good stirring it got adding PE.

Am I on track or way off? Feedback please please! I really need to understand this better too.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back