Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, you're right Dawg! I don't know where my mind was when I wrote that. I guess I shouldn't be sampling my apricot when I offer advice. :p

4 qts should make 8 gallons. Sorry @Michael T .

I strengthened it by making 6 1/2 gallons from 4 qts of concentrate (5 1/2 gallons of water and sugar).

Dawg, you will be able to decide when you dilute some to taste how much water you want to add. I found with my batch that even if I diluted it less it may get stronger, but not "peachier." If that makes sense. I just think they picked the peaches before they were ripe enough to have a good peach flavor. Hopefully you guys have better luck, but I think that's the way it is. That's why I'm anxious to hear what you think of the flavor.
How is apricot as a wine,,, i use apricot in my wet sauce, for smoking pork ,, i know it sure helps with pork ribs and pork pull meat,,,
Dawg

I am following this thread with great interest because I have 4 quarts of Coloma Frozen Foods Peach Juice Concentrate in my freezer just waiting for a few of my questions to be answered.

1) Should I reconstitute to make 5 or 6 gallons from the 4 quarts? Will this be enough to get my peach wine to taste 'peachy'?
2) Does anyone have a target pH that I can achieve with acid blend and an Apera PH60 meter?
3) Is there a target TA I should be looking for, I have a simple acid test kit (Vintner's Best Acid Testing Kit - LD Carlson).

I am planning to basically follow the recipe laid out by minnesotamaker (Lon dePoppe) in this post. PDF in the link.
Peach wine (kit style) by Lon dePoppe

I did find out ( I think) that the Coloma concentrates need to be treated with KMETA prior to starting fermentation by emailing the company.

I emailed Coloma this question:
"I purchased 4 quarts of frozen peach concentrate to make wine.
When I reconstitute the frozen concentrate do I need to add potassium metabisulfite (kmeta) or campden tablets to sanitize the must?
I suspect that the Coloma concentrate process does not kill all pathogens that are detrimental to wine making, but I am not sure."

I received this reply:
" I am Matthew Chudy, QA Director with Coloma Frozen Foods. The concentrate should not have any pathogenic bacteria. However, it DOES have yeast and mold spores in small numbers which will begin to grow when hydrated.
As far as adding a preservative, I will leave it to you the expert to decide."

I sure don't to mess this up!

Any other suggestions?

p.s. I am a fairly new winemaker (Aug. 2020) and am eager to learn the tips and tricks of the experienced winemakers!!
Michael; If I use a recipe that I have never made before I will FOLLOW the recipe. Don't stray from what it says. The outcome will tell you if the recipe is good or not. After all, if your not going to follow it the very first time why use it? If it is worthy of a second making, then you can make changes to hopefully make it better.

How is apricot as a wine,,, i use apricot in my wet sauce, for smoking pork ,, i know it sure helps with pork ribs and pork pull meat,,,
Dawg
[/QUOTE

I have only made one batch (5gal) and it is pretty good. I made it with homewinery concentrate so it was mostly grape juice and "essence of apricot" - whatever that is. We like it a lot but it does have a bit of an imitation flavor taste. If I could get fresh apricots, and if I had a press, I would sure like to make it often. It is one of my favorite fruits.

I did try a sample of Coloma's apricot concentrate, but it was a lot like the peach.

I should mention here that Coloma offers samples of their concentrates. They are very small (1 to 1.5 oz) but it is a good way to try them out for flavor before investing in quarts. So far, between what I have bought and the 5 samples they sent me, I will for sure be ordering cherry (sweet and tart), blackberry, and tangerine. All delicious. Blueberry was ok and I could possibly be ordering it someday to mix with frozen blueberries. Peach, apricot, and mango are off the list. All 3 tasteless.

Michael; If I use a recipe that I have never made before I will FOLLOW the recipe. Don't stray from what it says. The outcome will tell you if the recipe is good or not. After all, if your not going to follow it the very first time why use it? If it is worthy of a second making, then you can make changes to hopefully make it better.
as @jefAhas said most times, if still not deep into crafting that is very sound advice, that being said, you have a world class safety net , with the people on this form, when you see someone change something, ask them why, if nothing else you will have just learned something, this forum has been the most giving of free advice that i have ever seen. and always listen and weight that info, you can learn from experts ,, just as sure that now and then a noob will know a gem of info,,, on country wines, i have found the on fruit and berries will benefit from more fruit/berries , more per pound to less water or other fluids, so far water is my fluid on everything but banana & persimmon, reason being both tend to be very low in juice, for them i use apple juice,
Dawg

So a start of 13 gallons of wine from 12 qts of concentrate? You must not have needed much sugar to get 1.100

Does it taste like peach?
very peachy, but yes it is high dollar for that much peach, it is foam on half the surface the other side looks like millions of little pops going on, i had,, come to find out had only 1, K1V-1116 so i used it and 1, EC-1118
Dawg

today it is fermenting in high gear, the alcohol is there no doubt about that, on the front end,,,, in the mouth and the finish the peach really stands out, and at this point , it tells me, that the flavor will be very good in a year or 2,
I guess each yeast picked a side to work on. :p
very pronounced solid peach flavor,,, tasted today, walked out of my wine room with a smile, Good Lord Willing ,, it should make me very stingy with it, lol,,, i have a major fault, OK,, OK i have several major faults, grrrr,, but when someone shows up, i feel rude to not let them have a drink or 2, and send a bottle home with them, that being said ,, i am very strict, the moochers and those looking for guzzling a buzz get skeeter pee port, those that come hat in head, because they crave something to sip and enjoy slowly,, gets what i make for myself, hard to say no, bad manners and all, just the way i was raised,, , i have 2 wines i hate to share even though i do, my pear/apple/crabapple, and my peach,, my nephew is learning,,, i am proud of him on this, he's getting good at tasting at all stages, and is learning to say, uncle Richie that is going to be like the wine you make, of course i never let on that , this is the wine I'm making, lol ,, i have lately told him to do a couple steps that was not in the right order, he caught it each time, he told my brother he was fearing I'm going senile, he ain't figured out they were tests,,, shows me he is soaking it in and not just going through the motions, and he is learning to take pride in his work,,, more then i could have hoped for, he grew up eating ,, sleeping and playing computers, but now. he is learning to live in real life not some fanaticized game world, ,,
Dawg

Guess my two biggest fears about any commercial wine base source is are 1) Price - compared to fresh fruit and 2) Not knowing exactly how they select their fruit for the wine base.
Personally, unless I am desperate for a particular fruit and there is none available this year... I 'll go for the fresh fruit 1) Home grown if possible 2) Fruit Market/Orchard sourced. That way I KNOW the quality of the fruit. For Peaches, I went one year without because the crops were a total fail that year. Otherwise I go the local orchard and ask for their bruise/overripe peaches. A Little less expensive and >>> I <<<< get to chose when to process them into my wine batch. When I process the peaches the only things I discard are 1) Pits 2) Hard Green parts (None if I wait on them) 3) Moldy parts.

Columna (sp?) may have a great product but for now, I'm waiting on the real deal from our local orchard and if that fails.... then I'll look at the commercial source.

Guess my two biggest fears about any commercial wine base source is are 1) Price - compared to fresh fruit and 2) Not knowing exactly how they select their fruit for the wine base.
Personally, unless I am desperate for a particular fruit and there is none available this year... I 'll go for the fresh fruit 1) Home grown if possible 2) Fruit Market/Orchard sourced. That way I KNOW the quality of the fruit. For Peaches, I went one year without because the crops were a total fail that year. Otherwise I go the local orchard and ask for their bruise/overripe peaches. A Little less expensive and >>> I <<<< get to chose when to process them into my wine batch. When I process the peaches the only things I discard are 1) Pits 2) Hard Green parts (None if I wait on them) 3) Moldy parts.

Columna (sp?) may have a great product but for now, I'm waiting on the real deal from our local orchard and if that fails.... then I'll look at the commercial source.
yup around may, got extra carboys so no harm no foul in just checking thins out, not to mention they are a old company
Dawg

and not to mention , i have never played it safe, nothing ventured nothing gained, it is a spell to peach season, and once my 20 cubic foot chest type freezer became empty, well , i see no reason to not go for it, i started making from scratch,, i still do mostly scratch, except for what's not local and what is out of season, i can't bear to hear 26 or so empty carboy begging to be filled, got 5 dry carboys, this peach will drop me to 3 empty carboys, then I'm thinking tart cherry, by season time i can bottle at least half my carboys and re-wet them,
Dawg,

I's going good, you can smell peach before i open the door, and my smeller is extremely handclapped,, to me instead of a smell it is a peachy note in my throat, my brother and nephew when asked both said oh yeah, they could smell it a lot, been keeping the ferment cool, It's at SG of 1.050,, was going to try colomafrozen's white grape concentrate but after reading @silverbullet07 post,, about that Riesling, i emailed them to find out the difference between the white grape they already have as opposed to their white Riesling they are fixing to have, so waiting to hear back from them before i order, once this peach hits secondary, I'll be down to 3 empty carboys, of which i plan to use them for my first walk on the dark side (GRAPE) not counting possum grapes, or muscadines, so i got a few reds at a year bulk i will bottle to finish aging to get more empty carboys, i need to get off my lazy butt and build me some shelves, no more room for more carboys, really I'm over crowded now, Already busted ground for coming garden, and training another mule to pull ,, not to mention before next week ends will be weaning baby mule, so, might be a short before i get to shelves, way to many irons in the fire for old fat lame hillbilly,,, :oops:
Dawg

Hey Dawg. going to order some peach concentrate. Do You think 1 qt concentrate to a gal water is a good bold flavor ratio? Or could I get 5 gals wine out of 4 qts?

going to try their black currant concentrate too. Every had any Black currant wine? I like black berry and thought black currant may be good.

Hey Dawg. going to order some peach concentrate. Do You think 1 qt concentrate to a gal water is a good bold flavor ratio? Or could I get 5 gals wine out of 4 qts?

going to try their black currant concentrate too. Every had any Black currant wine? I like black berry and thought black currant may be good.
on peach 1 qt to 1 gal would be max for me, now i try to remind people that i have a tracheostomy, and a lot of what your brain processes as taste is smell, that being lacking for me i used 12 quarts of peach to 10 gallons of water, and yes black currant s a lot more bold flavor so to me you'd need less concentrate, yeah i love blackberry, & as well 50% blackberry & 50% elderberry, the last one s killer after a couple years laid back, let me know how everything goes
Dawg

Latest posts

Back