Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will get darker color at two years, possibly this lot did not have as much heat damage in the evaporator.
Curious is the gravity where you expect it? TA? or was that thin too
no the SG was in the ballpark, at 68 brix and they claim to use warm air under vacuum to evaporate their concentrate, never letting it to reach boiling only warm, (According to them) i wondered if the cooler process would of been the reason. what do you think, ? you are schooled in food prosses, that 68 brix was at concentrated strength,, and i think a brix of 10.5 at singe juice brix,, I have made peach many times, it is one of my few that i craft every year for myself ,,, i had thought i still had a couple cases hid back, but to my chagrin, i was down to one bottle of 2014, Lord have mercy i screeched that bottle out for 3 days, a lite delicate flavor that felt like silk going down your throat, This must will be 16 gallons water to 12 quarts of concentrate, peach is supposed to be 2 gal total per quart, but now after to much though i am pondering of using apple juice instead of water as my liquid, i use apple juice in banana and in pear, any thoughts greatly appreciated,,
Dawg

This must will be 16 gallons water to 12 quarts of concentrate, peach is supposed to be 2 gal total per quart, but now after to much though i am pondering of using apple juice instead of water as my liquid, i use apple juice in banana and in pear, any thoughts greatly appreciated,,
Dawg
Send me a couple of pints of juice and I'll run a gallon and let you know!!

Okay,
After pondering on this i have decided what I'm fixing to do.
i got 12 quarts, of which they say will make 24 gallons, in all, 7 quarts of water for each quart of concentrate,
and that's just not my lack of style, so me being me,,,
i will use 11 gallons of pure well water, add to that the 12 quarts of concentrate, that will make # 2-6's of peach must with enough to have plenty for topping off extra's, yup,,, That's what i aim to do.
and plenty of taste testing , before it gets a 2 year bulk aging ,,,
Dawg :h

The current standard in the US for making concentrate is to run it in a vacuum evaporator. The light color and improved aroma makes sense. The question about TA and gravity was basically “do you have expected dry solids?” or did the factory doctor it, or was the last shipment two year old/ oxidized. . . good that they send quality product.
no the SG was in the ballpark, at 68 brix and they claim to use warm air under vacuum to evaporate their concentrate, never letting it to reach boiling only warm, (According to them) i wondered if the cooler process would of been the reason. what do you think, ?

I'm curious if you have reconstituted a sample of this juice just to taste it.

As you know, I have used this concentrate. I reconstituted my first batch by using 4 qts of concentrate and bringing the total volume up to 6 1/2 gal with water and sugar. Mine did not have a very strong peach flavor, but it did ferment well and the color was very similar to banana. It cleared to a light yellow in a couple of weeks and then darkened within a month. Very little lees.

I expect to add some peach extract to try to punch up the peach flavor.

As you know, I have used this concentrate. I reconstituted my first batch by using 4 qts of concentrate and bringing the total volume up to 6 1/2 gal with water and sugar. Mine did not have a very strong peach flavor, but it did ferment well and the color was very similar to banana. It cleared to a light yellow in a couple of weeks and then darkened within a month. Very little lees.

not yet, got busy around here, back when homewinery was still a single juice product, I always increased my strength by 50%, i want my peach wine to taste very peachy,
Richard

I am following this thread with great interest because I have 4 quarts of Coloma Frozen Foods Peach Juice Concentrate in my freezer just waiting for a few of my questions to be answered.

1) Should I reconstitute to make 5 or 6 gallons from the 4 quarts? Will this be enough to get my peach wine to taste 'peachy'?
2) Does anyone have a target pH that I can achieve with acid blend and an Apera PH60 meter?
3) Is there a target TA I should be looking for, I have a simple acid test kit (Vintner's Best Acid Testing Kit - LD Carlson).

I am planning to basically follow the recipe laid out by minnesotamaker (Lon dePoppe) in this post. PDF in the link.
Peach wine (kit style) by Lon dePoppe

I did find out ( I think) that the Coloma concentrates need to be treated with KMETA prior to starting fermentation by emailing the company.

I emailed Coloma this question:
"I purchased 4 quarts of frozen peach concentrate to make wine.
When I reconstitute the frozen concentrate do I need to add potassium metabisulfite (kmeta) or campden tablets to sanitize the must?
I suspect that the Coloma concentrate process does not kill all pathogens that are detrimental to wine making, but I am not sure."

I received this reply:
" I am Matthew Chudy, QA Director with Coloma Frozen Foods. The concentrate should not have any pathogenic bacteria. However, it DOES have yeast and mold spores in small numbers which will begin to grow when hydrated.
As far as adding a preservative, I will leave it to you the expert to decide."

I sure don't to mess this up!

Any other suggestions?

p.s. I am a fairly new winemaker (Aug. 2020) and am eager to learn the tips and tricks of the experienced winemakers!!

my coloma peach claims 1.75 plus 1 quart concentrate = 2 gallon, I am going with 12 gallon water to 12 quarts of coloma peach concentrate, will K-meta for 24 hours, then pitch yeast, coloma calls for a 1:7.31 yielding approx. 2 gallons,, but i tend to close to double my wines fruits and berries, in order to get as bold a flavor as possible,
Dawg

now you got me wondering about cutting down from 12 gallon of water to 10 gallons of water,
Dawg

Oh man, you're right Dawg! I don't know where my mind was when I wrote that. I guess I shouldn't be sampling my apricot when I offer advice. :p

4 qts should make 8 gallons. Sorry @Michael T .

I strengthened it by making 6 1/2 gallons from 4 qts of concentrate (5 1/2 gallons of water and sugar).

Dawg, you will be able to decide when you dilute some to taste how much water you want to add. I found with my batch that even if I diluted it less it may get stronger, but not "peachier." If that makes sense. I just think they picked the peaches before they were ripe enough to have a good peach flavor. Hopefully you guys have better luck, but I think that's the way it is. That's why I'm anxious to hear what you think of the flavor.

Oh man, you're right Dawg! I don't know where my mind was when I wrote that. I guess I shouldn't be sampling my apricot when I offer advice. :p

4 qts should make 8 gallons. Sorry @Michael T .

I strengthened it by making 6 1/2 gallons from 4 qts of concentrate (5 1/2 gallons of water and sugar).

Dawg, you will be able to decide when you dilute some to taste how much water you want to add. I found with my batch that even if I diluted it less it may get stronger, but not "peachier." If that makes sense. I just think they picked the peaches before they were ripe enough to have a good peach flavor. Hopefully you guys have better luck, but I think that's the way it is. That's why I'm anxious to hear what you think of the flavor.
now I'm worried,,, to dilute & not get preacher, dang i just went blank, like i mentioned in another post , the color, not the wine, i know the color changes in peach, but the ordinal concentrate had & does worry me, my fear is you have hit the preliberal nail on the head, @reeflections ,,, as for your math, that made me feel like others are human too, now remember i am not putting you in the shallow end of the gene pool like me, lol, I strive on my country wines to come as close as possible to the fruit/berry off the tree, bush, briar patch . now I'm contemplating leaving my concentrate in the freezer and get me a couple bushels of peaches, of which i can properly ripen then make a batch that will give a 24 gallon finish, has anyone used peach extract, i wonder if just a slight amount might give that great peach flavor,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back