peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revid

Junior
Reaction score
I am making some peach wine for the first time and after a couple of weeks brewing my wine tastes vinegary.I put about 11/2 - two gallons of peaches and about 10 lbs of sugar in a 25 litre bucket with some wine yeast. This is my first attempt at making peach wine btw. Did i forget something ,any way to correct it? Wine is still "working" though.

Hi Revid,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. The taste just might be a must that is fermenting. Did you take a reading prior to fermentation and do you know what it is now? Also did you add any nutrients or adjust for acid? Peach can have a pretty funky taste and smell when fermenting.

Acetobacter bacteria is responsible for vinegar production. This bacteria is a resident everywhere--in the air, on your equipment, and on fruit skins. Did you add some meta to the must on the first day? If not, this may be why you have the vinegar now. Also, all equipment that touches your wine needs to be sanitized with meta solution.

You also need yeast nutrient when fermenting wine and you should not pitch it all in the beginning. It should be divided into 3 doses to keep the nutrients available to the generations of new yeast cells being produced. No ferment should be stinky---if it is, lack of nutrient is almost always the culprit. And it's usually reponsible for stuck ferments,also.

If you have other wines going in the vincinity of this one, you probably want to get it isolated so it doesn't infect your other wines. I've never had vinegar production in a wine and I'm not sure if there is a cure. You could Google the problem--I'm sure you'd find a lot of info on this problem there.

postassium metasulfite. Research Campden tablets. You need to use them to knock out the wild bacteria/yeast until your wine yeast establish, at which point they will out-compete the competition until the alcohol gets high enough to do that job. But you still add sulfites to a certain extent later as insurance, since some things can grow even in high alcohol.

There is a lot of good YouTube clips on people making fruit wine.... Check it out and try again. Don't get discouraged... Great way to learn! I don't make any wine like that so I have no good input but can tell you there are a lot of great people on this forum to help with your questions.

My first peach went vinegar too... Cook with it. I think vinegar bacteria just happen to love peach skins! LOL (Marinade some chicken with it and honey....makes a mean grilled chicken)

Latest posts

Back