Peach Wine time...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good, I'm going to give it a try. Curious about the "touch of" absorbic acid and the bentonite. Never used either. Any reason for them?

How would replacing some of the suggar with brown suggar sound?

Absorbic acid stops fruit from browning. I put some in a spray bottle with a little water and sprayed the fruit a litlle bit as I cut it up.

Bentonite helps wine clear, I hear it also helps yeast. (gives it something to hang onto, or keep suspended). I mainly use it for helping clear.

Brown sugar is recommended by people for use with Apricot wines, and I think it would be a good fit here also. I used some on a portion of this years batch. But it is to early to know results....

Ascorbic acid is an antioxidant that doesnt hi9nder a fermentation so using it along with the small amount of sulfites in the beginning is just an added precaution for fruits that brown easily like pears, apples and peaches to name a few. The small amount of sulfites we use to hold off natural yeast isnt always enough to keep the fruit their nice color and once it browns it may not be possible to get the color of the wine you are looking for. Bentonite is a fining agent but also helps ward off protein hazes which can be hard to rectify later. I use it in primary to help drop out the heavier solids so I dont carry them over to my carboy.

hmiddle3 said:
Sounds good, I'm going to give it a try. Curious about the "touch of" absorbic acid and the bentonite. Never used either. Any reason for them?

How would replacing some of the suggar with brown suggar sound?

I've used brown sugar & muscovado sugar (light & dark) in several of my meads with great results. Just be careful because depending on the quality of the brown sugar you could get a more noticeable molasses flavor in your wine.

OK, that makes sense... I've been using Isinglass for a finning and havent had much of a problem, although my last peach was a bit hazy..Thanks for th tips.. Definitly looks good..

vcasey said:
I've used brown sugar & muscovado sugar (light & dark) in several of my meads with great results. Just be careful because depending on the quality of the brown sugar you could get a more noticeable molasses flavor in your wine.

I wonder, would, say, 20% of the total sugar added be a safe point to try? The peach cobbler reference caught my eye in the other thread.. I didnt want to get carried away and overpower it, but little hints of different flavors sound cool..

hmiddle3 said:
vcasey said:

I wonder, would, say, 20% of the total sugar added be a safe point to try? The peach cobbler reference caught my eye in the other thread.. I didnt want to get carried away and overpower it, but little hints of different flavors sound cool..

This is the fun part about wine making, you get to experiment and find your "special blend." The peach cobbler mead only had 6 oz (its a 1 gallon test batch), but I also used honey. Looking back over my notes it seems 6 oz of the muscovado per gallon is standard for me. However please play with your wine!

I dont use Bentonite as a final fining agent, just in the beginning in primary.

I'll have to pick some up and give it a shot. I think I'll also give the brown sugar a try to..I'll let you know how it all turns out..
Thanks,

Ever thought of adding vanilla too? This recipie sounds great and I'm planning to do about a 20% brown sugar modification.. I cant help butget cinnamon and vanilla flavors coming to mind with it.. Desert in a glass...

hmiddle3 said:
Ever thought of adding vanilla too? This recipie sounds great and I'm planning to do about a 20% brown sugar modification.. I cant help butget cinnamon and vanilla flavors coming to mind with it.. Desert in a glass...

Often. Just remember to be careful when adding spices. Like oak, you can always add more. The only limit is your imagination and you may be surprised the spices used basil, sage, cloves, allspice and mints are a few more popular ones.
A couple of years ago I made a vanilla mead, took a gallon off when bottling and added some cinnamon. Still have another couple of years before I open a bottle.

Back