Peach wine tastes like vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxplod

Needs intervention!
Reaction score
ok i made it from fresh peaches and it sat in primary for about 10 days racked it to 2nd it looks good not too clear yet but ....i tasted it and :re woah very sour not rotten but sour? will it get better? or do i add suger? thanks in advance for your help.

Bud :se

Fruit wines take longer for the taste and aroma to get better. My Strawberry wine was that way - it very very tart at first. I backsweetened and it has been 2 months now - and it not as tart and it tastes a lot better.

Did you add k-meta in your primary?

10 Days seems a bit long - was the fermentation slow?

Whats the gravity?
Like what Bud said give it time.

.990 i just know its got to get better cause in cant get no mopre bitter LOL

Fruit wines take longer for the taste and aroma to get better. My Strawberry wine was that way - it very very tart at first. I backsweetened and it has been 2 months now - and it not as tart and it tastes a lot better.

Did you add k-meta in your primary?

10 Days seems a bit long - was the fermentation slow?

it was slow fermating and so far iv never used k-meta-- i take it thats one more thing i need to make easy homemade wine huh?

cider is the same..very sour at bottling.

6 months later ( for cider) it's perfect for drinking and that is a still/unsweetened cider.

give it time.. IF you want to drink sooner, sweeten it.

Allie

it was slow fermating and so far iv never used k-meta-- i take it thats one more thing i need to make easy homemade wine huh?

Do you never use k-meta - or you just didn't know to?

K-meta aids in winemaking to help preserve - kill off wild yeasts and bacteria that can cause the wine to go bad.

thanks

i just didnt know i needed it. --learn something every day in here.

i just didnt know i needed it. --learn something every day in here.

Also remember to add 1/16 tsp of k-meta per gallon of wine every 3-4 months of bulk storage as well.

You can also add 1/4 tsp to a gallon of water to make a sanitizing solution.

Also remember to add 1/16 tsp of k-meta per gallon of wine every 3-4 months of bulk storage as well

The instructions i saw was 2 oz per gallon for sanitizing. Is this too much?
How much contact time do I need to sanitize equipment?

That is true if you were to save that solution and sanitize. Kinda a typo here.

Also remember to add 1/16 tsp of k-meta per gallon of wine every 3-4 months of bulk storage as well.

1st part is right. The second sentence is not. What I do is mix the 2 tbs in a gallon save it by adding a airlock. take 1 qt out and put in a spray bottle for sanitizing small items like spoon, hydrometer.. etc.

When and if you sweeten your peach wine, even just a bit it will really bring out the flavor. You could backsweeten with pure peach juice. This will give it a more intense taste.

That is true if you were to save that solution and sanitize. Kinda a typo here.

1st part is right. The second sentence is not. What I do is mix the 2 tbs in a gallon save it by adding a airlock. take 1 qt out and put in a spray bottle for sanitizing small items like spoon, hydrometer.. etc.

Ahh - didn't know you needed an airlock on it to keep it good. I just have an open one inside my corkidor.

The instructions i saw was 2 oz per gallon for sanitizing. Is this too much?
How much contact time do I need to sanitize equipment?

I think Tom touched oh how much to use for sanitizing - but usually i just clean spray with sanitizing solution and let drip dry. If i am using the equipment - i just spray it down shake it dry a bit and use.

Actually, since I have been in here is 2-3 Tablespoons per gallon!! If you put it in a spray bottle, just a quick squirt on your hydrometer etc., waitabout 60 seconds and good to go.

Same ratio for your carboys etc. T rinse or not after? I think we still argue about that.

I dont have running water, so I do things a bit different.

I fill up my 3 gallon BB carboy half way with warm water, add 5 or 6 tablespoons Kmeta. Put a bung on it and shake the hell out of it for about 5 miutes, drain quick rinse and drain.

I think I got the 5 minute contact info in here, but just not sure.

Sanitizing as w know is crucial.

But when added to your wine in the primary is important as well and in fact, IS a form of sanitizing. 1/4 teaspoon, not TBLS, in 5 gallons should be around 50ppm. Thats what you want.

I am sure others will chime in, keep an eye on this thread.

Actually, since I have been in here is 2-3 Tablespoons per gallon!! If you put it in a spray bottle, just a quick squirt on your hydrometer etc., waitabout 60 seconds and good to go.

Same ratio for your carboys etc. T rinse or not after? I think we still argue about that.

I dont have running water, so I do things a bit different.

I fill up my 3 gallon BB carboy half way with warm water, add 5 or 6 tablespoons Kmeta. Put a bung on it and shake the hell out of it for about 5 miutes, drain quick rinse and drain.

I think I got the 5 minute contact info in here, but just not sure.

Sanitizing as w know is crucial.

But when added to your wine in the primary is important as well and in fact, IS a form of sanitizing. 1/4 teaspoon, not TBLS, in 5 gallons should be around 50ppm. Thats what you want.

I am sure others will chime in, keep an eye on this thread.

Keep an eye on this thread? Naw.. I am keeping an eye on U ! LOL!
BTW no neet to add so much water to sanitize. Just need a gallon. The fumes not the water sanitizes. when finished return to a 1 gal jug and airlock it. Reuse again and again as lons as you can SMELL the sulfite.

Thanks for the advise always looking to save water.

I actually considered that washing these out. In fact I took a chance without asking and have indeed used only one gallon, 3 TBLS and sook it like crazy. Soon, I will need water for two!!! LOL.

I quess I did know that. The fumes do it, not the water, but am I correct on the 5 minute part?

2 oz or 3 tbls of k-meta per gallon and really 3 tbls of citric acid also as that increases the sanitizing strength considerably!

I am scaring myself. I really do pay attention.

If you are going to do it, then lets do it right.

I do remeber hearing that the addition of a bit of citric acid acts like a catalyst.

Dang did i start all of this?? LOL well at least we b learning huh? thanks.

Latest posts

Back