Peach wine info? Raisin/banana/or grape ur best?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I have a freezer full of peaches. Probably 10, 1 gallon baggs (cut and destoned). I was planning on doing a peach wine. i read there are three primary wines on Jack K's site. Raisin, banana, and grape. I was wondering if any of you have done a couple and could tell me your best?

Also, I was thinking of splitting the batch and doing a port with half. Anyone done a "peach port"?

If so did you ferment it to it's max, or add liquor at the end?

Thanks,
Ryan

I prefer banana in my peach wines. Raisins and grapes give to much flavor and color that over-power the delicate flavor of the peaches. The banana just addes to the body and gives some mouth feel. As far as port goes ????, Never tryed it. With all fortified wines, ferment as far as the yeast will go and then fortify using the pearson square to the desired abv.

Pete

rs, I have made 2 peach wines, and I used banana's also. I also have about 10 lbs in my freezer, waiting for another batch.

I decided to go with rasins. But I did have 3 cans of Alexanders Sauvingnon Blanc that I used with the peaches and rasins. I had to add a little acid but everything looks good. I got it put together this afternoon.

I used about 25-30 lbs of cut up peaches. I used my new press and got about 2 gallons of juice from them. The freerun from the peaches first gallon was 11 brix, and the last gal of the juice that was sqeezed out came out at 13 brix. So I figure the peaches were 12 brix.

It tastes good and I'm looking forward to a finished product.

rshosted,

I made a gallon of Peach Port as an experiment. I made it using Welches White Grape/Peach bottled juice with a can of the same in concentrate to boost the flavor. I aged it for 6 months on a cinnamon stick. I added a .750L bottle of Peach Brandy. It is all PEACH and I think well worth repeating. I have2 of 6 bottlesleft, andI'm going to let one age at least oneor twoyearsbefore opening.Edited by: pkcook

Nice PK. That does sound good. I've got about 30 lbs of peaches left. I
figure that will make about two gallons of juice. I can't decide if I
should add water to get 5-6 gallons, or just make 2 gallons of a port.

Pk did you notice the brandy flavor in the peach you made?

Here is some of the peach juice in the making....

20061230_122609_PeachSavBlan.jpg

Oh yeah and the voyage run of the new press. :)

The press is a beauty! Aren't you glad you waited? Did you use straining bags?

Love the press RS. The peach brandy was very prominent, but I'm hoping time will blend the two a bit. Edited by: pkcook

I did use a big straining bag. I put the skins back into the mix after pressing. For the color (someone very wise suggested that to me, joan :) )

I have tasted it and it's started a brewin'. It is still very sweet and I used Cotes d blanc, so I"m hoping it will be finishin' with some sugar still in it and that great peach flavor.

I'm still a little confused why we dont add vodka to our wines as it doesn't really have much of a taste to it. Brandy is really pretty pronounced (at least the ones that I have had)...???

pk, would you explain more about blending the brandy with the peach wine. I just bottled some peach wine, and adding brandy sounds really good. Could I open the bottles, mix it, and re bottle it???

Latest posts

Back