Bananas and raisins,,,,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sipper

Reaction score
Now that I’ve made most of the varietals I’ve wanted,, I’m interested in experimenting with tweaking. What I’m looking for is info on adding bananas or raisins to a cabSav. I’ve been told that adding a banana will give a creamier mouth feel to wine. Not sure what raisins add except for additional sugar and a higher ABV. The trouble is,,,, I have no clue on how much of either to add to a 6 gallon batch. Should they be in the mesh bag with the skins when doing a kit wine? Can someone please help me with specific information since I never done this? Vanilla too? All based on 6 gallons

Raisins add not only sugar put they also add a slight plum aroma and taste to the wine. I usually add 2 to 4 oz of roughly chopped raisins to 1 gallon.
I have not experimented with bananas thus far but I do intend on doing so.

I'm not sure abut bananas in a cab sav. I usually tweak my cab sav kit juice with Zante or Corinth Currants (a raisin - wine grape) and oak chips; one cup each. I make super cheap 6 gallon kits and short the water to make 5 gallons and boost the sugar with a simple syrup.
I have used banana in white fruit wines.

I have added bananas to my peach wine to add body. I also added raisins for added body and tannin. Of course, both also add sugar. For each gallon, I used about 1 lb. bananas and 1/2 lbs. golden raisins. I peel and chop the bananas, then simmer them for 20-30 minutes. I strain out the banana pulp and add the liquid to the must.

The bananas add a little bit of flavor as well as body. The raisins also affect the flavor, although golden raisins don't affect it as much. I think that the background banana and raisin flavor works well with peach wine. I don't know how either or both would work in a cab sav.

knar a clue, but for banana wine i use 12lbs of blacken bananas to the gallon apple juice, and 5 lbs of chopped gulden raisin's per 6 gallon fluid. i have 18 gallons bulk aging, 12 like i just described, the third carboy has to boot 3 sticks cinnamon from sir lanka and 20 grams all spice from Jamaica,,, 13 months in so far, just 11 more months to go ,,, then bottling time,,,
Dawg

I have added bananas to my peach wine to add body. I also added raisins for added body and tannin. Of course, both also add sugar. For each gallon, I used about 1 lb. bananas and 1/2 lbs. golden raisins. I peel and chop the bananas, then simmer them for 20-30 minutes. I strain out the banana pulp and add the liquid to the must.

The bananas add a little bit of flavor as well as body. The raisins also affect the flavor, although golden raisins don't affect it as much. I think that the background banana and raisin flavor works well with peach wine. I don't know how either or both would work in a cab sav.
knar a clue, but for banana wine i use 12lbs of blacken bananas to the gallon apple juice, and 5 lbs of chopped gulden raisin's per 6 gallon fluid. i have 18 gallons bulk aging, 12 like i just described, the third carboy has to boot 3 sticks cinnamon from sir lanka and 20 grams all spice from Jamaica,,, 13 months in so far, just 11 more months to go ,,, then bottling time,,,
Dawg

I’m not much into fruit wines but that sound really intersting!

Raisins add not only sugar put they also add a slight plum aroma and taste to the wine. I usually add 2 to 4 oz of roughly chopped raisins to 1 gallon.
I have not experimented with bananas thus far but I do intend on doing so.
@Rembee, going to try the raisins and oak on my next Cab Sav kit. One question... I assume you put the raisins in the primary... but how long do you generally leave them in the must? Thanks.

@Rembee, going to try the raisins and oak on my next Cab Sav kit. One question... I assume you put the raisins in the primary... but how long do you generally leave them in the must? Thanks.
I place the raisins in a brew bag along with the skins/pulp and remove the bag once my SG is between 1.040 and 1.020 for most of my fruit wines. If it's my muscadine/grape wine, I will leave the skins/raisins until my first racking or until I press.

I roughly chop the raisins to break the skins, then put them in hot water to steep for 15 minutes or so to rehydrate them. After that I add them to a brew bag in the primary as @Rembee said. I also add the water from steeping the raisins to the must.

Latest posts

Back