Peach Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loner

Reaction score
My eyes hurt from reading and searching. Could someone please share or direct me to a good (no water) recipe. I have a local vender that will supply me with fresh peaches that are about to become too ripe to sell.

Here's what I used last year. Peach throws a ton of sediment, so start off with more than you want to finish with. I used 3 cans/gallon of Welches White Grape/Peach to a gallon of water. I think I'd go with 4 cans this year if I need to add liquid.

For a Three Gallon Batch:

19lbs of sliced/pitted peaches (21 lbs before pitting)
Two medium bananas, sliced with skin on
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp of acid blend (didn't have a titration kit - next time target .60-.65%)
1/4 tsp of KMETA
Welches white grape/peach concentrate (3 cans mixed w/ a gallon of water)
Cotes des blanc yeast

Thaw peaches, and add KMETA, let it sit for ~12 hours
Add pectic enzyme, let sit for another ~12 hours
Top up primary to ~4 gallons with WWGP/Water mix (I assume I'll lose quite a bit when I rack to secondary)
Add sugar/simple syrup to target SG of 1.085 (I just used sugar, and stirred very well until it was disolved)
pitch yeast
stir/squeeze mesh bags lightly at least once a day
at ~1.010, transfer to secondary and ferment dry
Once dry, rack, degass and add another 1/8 tsp of KMETA and 1.5 tsp of Ksorbate to stabilize
Backsweeten to taste
Let it clear naturally, racking as needed and adding 1/8 tsp KMETA every ~3 months

And here's how WE do peach wine. Cut them up and freeze them first--leave the skins on. This will yield a lot of juice. If the peaches have REAL good flavor, then you're good to go. But if the flavor is weak,as some varieties can be, then you need to bulk up the flavor. Get some peach puree from Vintner's Harvest--- Oregon is another brand---and add it to the primary. This does a REAL good job of enhancing the flavor.

Be sure to check the PH pre-ferment and adjust if needed to a PH of 3.3 to 3.4

I highly recommend that you bentonite the primary or your new hobby will become trying to clarify this wine post ferment. Add the bentonite around the 3rd day of the ferment because bentonite inactivates enzymes---your pectic enzyme needs to be added to the primary on the first day to break the fruit down. Second day, take PH reading and adjust as needed---adjust brix--pitch yeast. By the 3rd day, your pectic enzyme has done it's job and the bentonite won't inactivate it.

If you want to use a malic metabolizing culture like 71B be sure to use Go-Ferm or GO-Ferm Protect with it. Hydrate it before pitching.

Once racked to a carboy, give it about one year to bulk up the flavors thru aging.

Don't forget to give the fruit a proper dose of meta while it's thawing. You don't want to get any biological growth going or you'll have a stuck ferment!

Sorry for the multiple posts--I keep thinking of other things. You know, old age and all that sort of thing!

Consider 10# per gallon--that way, you'll have a delicious peach.

I'm right there with you in the old age. Thanks for your post Turock.

Finally got this batch going. I started with 15 lbs of sliced peaches from the farmers market. I put them in zip locks and froze them. Halfway thru the thaw I added 1 crushed campden tablet. The next day I added 4 cans of frozen concentrate .. White Grape/Peach and 1.5 teaspoons of pectic enzyme. 24 hours later I poured it all through a straining bag and captured the fruit. Temp was at 70 degrees so I added 1 tsp tannin .. 1 tsp yeast nutrient .. 1 tsp yeast energizer .. 1 tsp acid blend and 1 cup of sugar. Just added a packet of rc212. SG 1.090 .. Acid around .75. Ph strips didn't impress me so I'm guessing around 4.0. I'm hoping to have around 1.5 gallons when it cooks out. I have another 4 lbs of fruit thawing to add at some point .. Suggestions are welcome.

Finally got this batch going. I started with 15 lbs of sliced peaches from the farmers market. I put them in zip locks and froze them. Halfway thru the thaw I added 1 crushed campden tablet. The next day I added 4 cans of frozen concentrate .. White Grape/Peach and 1.5 teaspoons of pectic enzyme. 24 hours later I poured it all through a straining bag and captured the fruit. Temp was at 70 degrees so I added 1 tsp tannin .. 1 tsp yeast nutrient .. 1 tsp yeast energizer .. 1 tsp acid blend and 1 cup of sugar. Just added a packet of rc212. SG 1.090 .. Acid around .75. Ph strips didn't impress me so I'm guessing around 4.0. I'm hoping to have around 1.5 gallons when it cooks out. I have another 4 lbs of fruit thawing to add at some point .. Suggestions are welcome.

Bentonite, do you plan to add bentonite on Day 3 as Turock recommends? It will mean the world in regard to clarity with this wine.
If the pH is in fact 4, that is bothersome to me.

Last edited:
I agree with Sara. A PH of 4 is pretty terrible for peach--will make it taste like dishwater. Bentonite is really important on peach because it suffers from pectin haze.

I will add bentonite today. As far as the ph I actually don't have a clue. I did purchase an inexpensive test kit where you stick the test strip in the must and compare the color of the strip to the chart with in 15 seconds. My color doesn't match anything on the chart. I will go by taste on this one.

I just started one, a bushel of peaches juiced ( yields 7 gallons). 1 gallon in the freezer, 6 gallons, sugar to 1.090, 2 tbl pectic enzyme, 2 1/2 tsp calcium carbonate ( pH adjusted to 3.54). Lavin 71b-1122 yeast. Its rocking and rolling this morning. :D

Sounds good .. Mine was practically boiling this morning too. At this rate it will be under glass in a couple of days.

I did add 10 more cups of peach juice and 1 teaspoon of yeast energizer. It bumped me from 1.030 to 1.035. The energizer really cranked it back up. I'm impressed with the 212 yeast .. Wasn't expecting such an active ferment.

Yeah Tomm----we use acid blend on peach. You want to think of this wine as you would a white wine. You want to get the PH down to where it helps pull out the flavor. We usually go for a PH of about 3.3 on peach.

Loner---I know what you're saying about the dreaded test strips. When you get around to it, you should buy a PH meter. It's an important tool for a fruit wine maker. I'm glad you're using bentonite in this---you'll be glad too.

Latest posts

Back