Cellar Craft Pasteur Red, RC 212? Experiences in big CC kits such as 2011 LE Chateau Du Pays?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJayman

Reaction score
I picked up 2 of these last year with one in the bottle and the other I threw in the tank today but haven't added the yeast. I am looking at trying a different yeast to bring out a better/bigger Euro style red and have both Pasteur Red and RC 212 on hand, but leaning toward the Pasteur Red. The kit comes with the normal EC 118 of course.

My question is, has anyone made this kit with these more specialized yeasts??? My concern is this is an 18L kit with a 2.6L super pack and I am concerned with the upper end alcohol content killing off my yeast with both of these alternates topping out around 15%. At the time of "dumping" SG was about 1.085, but of course grape pack contains a lot of sugar which will continue to come into solution. After a few hours, SG is now up to 1.090.

The other kit I made (with the EC118) seemed to come out at about .994/.995 SG. (I only took a "dumping" SG which was a little lower around .1076)

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences!

Respectfully,

I like both Pasteur Red and 212. I have a feeling they are same strain different manufactures. But I could be wrong

You should be ok but keep the temp up near the end and give it a gentle stir at the end to make sure no viable yeast cells are buried under the heay lees to help ensure every cell is as active as it can be near the end.

Hey Lads!

Haven't been on in a while... had a nasty virus I went toe-to-toe with for about 10 days. Was able to keep its heart pumping, but had to pull the plug as among other things wouldn't permit internet access, (so update your software!!!) But I digress...

Anyway, wanted to update this thread to say thanks and this is on the downhill side of first fermentation. My log is upstairs but believe Pasteur was pitched (with 2 tsp energizer) on 12/28 and this morning had reached just above 1.000. Temp in room ranges generally around 68-70, sometimes falling to 66 in early morning, but this is well withing this strains range of 60-80. The aromas are much fuller than what has been experienced with EC-1118 and to say I am excited about this second batch is an understatement.

I don't think I'll ever go back to EC-1118 unless there's a stuck fermentation.

Thanks for the update, please keep us posted as to how it finishes out and especially if it gets stuck!

Will do Mike!!!!!

Been watching her pretty close as far as monitoring temps in the room, punching/stirring and recently started the daily SG monitoring. The real drag is although with a good stock of available and maturing varietals, I am back to that "first batch maker" glumness feeling of having to wait a year and a half to appreciate this........ Hope Vineco doesn't screw with a good thing!!! (But did see Christina now has a Vineco email address!!!)

As was mentioned earlier in this post, it does seem the Pasteur Red and RC-212 are the same. I will be pitching the RC-212 in the CC LE Cab/Merlot/Syrah this April!!!!

Cheers!

I bought that one as well, thinking about trying some "real" yeast instead of the "terminator" of yeast!

"terminator" of yeast!

Well, said and better articulated!!!

I would certainly say so far the results are extremely promising. To some degree wish I had done the two batches side-by-side, but from what has been noted so far this one is much better.

Although it is entirely unfair to compare at this point, I did try one of the first run bottles about a month and half ago. Prior to bulking to a 5 gallon, I bottled a couple (unfiltered). These few were bottled mid April 2011. Though tasting pleasent 8 months later, there was just about zero nose and really bummed me out. This is what hacked me off and went looking to use a yeast more appropriate for the style en lieu of "C'est Terminator." :w

If anyone is sitting on one of these kits.....sell it to me or use the Red Pasteur (or possibly RC-212). Although things could still go south for many reasons, what has been demonstrated so far is incredibly different.

Stay tuned....

Just an update....

This is going along well. I was a little worried that somehow it would be left on the lees too long and start cannibalizing the dead yeast hulls. Especially when you want to leave it on the skins as much as possible.

I have the log upstairs and appears secondary may be over and i am just waiting for the enzyme to get rid of the film before considering clearing.

The nose is extremely nice and tastes better than I remember the one with the standard yeast. I can't imagine how this will be in a year or two.

More to come....

Yes... but thank you for the reminder. But your post made me a little paranoid and racked again to be sure. She's sitting pretty.

This one may be the first candidate for the vadai barrel.

Back