Cellar Craft Passport LE Oregon Pinot Gris, should I start it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this white wine kit on deck for 2 weeks waiting for an empty carboy.
I only have a 6gal carboy (6.5 gallons actually).

I will be out of town leaving Friday July 31 and returning on August 16.

I think I could be ok if I start it tomorrow, this would give me enough time to finish fermentation in open bucket, around 5-7 days to go completely dry 0.99x

With that being said, if I rack into the Italian 6.5gal carboy, stabilized and add fpack by next weekend, I could let it take 3 weeks to clear but it will have a big empty space on the top of the carboy.

I don't typically follow instructions calling for racking at 1.020 or lower (secondary fermentation), I usually let it ferment all the way in an open bucket.

If I wait to start the kit until my return I still won't have a smaller carboy, plus I'd be loosing almost a month to get this kit going.

So the only concern, would be leaving the wine clearing with such a big empty space on top.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Started kit this morning, SG 1.092

Kit came with 71B and 1118.
Pitching 71B now and will pitch 1118 later today.

Last edited:
Unless it gets stuck, I wouldn't bother with the 1118.

I've had wines in secondary for a month, so I wouldn't worry about being away, as long as it it topped up.

This kit came with both, I never used 2 different yeast packages in the same wine, maybe I will let 71B ride alone and see how it goes....thanks guys.

Unless it gets stuck, I wouldn't bother with the 1118.

I've had wines in secondary for a month, so I wouldn't worry about being away, as long as it it topped up.

Reading the instructions and it seems like they ask not to top off, so I will leave it with the big head space and see how it goes.

This kit came with both, I never used 2 different yeast packages in the same wine, maybe I will let 71B ride alone and see how it goes....thanks guys.

Has anyone tried to contact CC regarding them including two different yeasts?

I was hoping someone else had made an inquiry, since this kit is on deck to be started in the next month or two. I guess, I'll have to send out an e-mail or three to see if I can get a response from the mfg.

I emailed Vineco on Monday but no email reply. I called and spoke to a lady and she basically gave me the general info that comes with the kit and confirmed the 2 different yeasts but didn't have much other info, so she said she would have their "wine tech" provide a better technical reply to my email, but yet none received.

I didn't pitch EC-1118, 71B is chugging along ok by itself, SG 1.030 and going strong.

I started mine last night. I did a yeast swap. Went with BA11 which is my go to yeast these days for the whites. 71B can chew up quite a bit of Malic Acid. Wonder why they would use that yeast. Should be interesting to see any difference in flavor profiles.

Just racked this kit, SG went to 0.992.
After adding fpack, SG went up to 1.002, right on the good spot for me.

The kit came with 2 small packets of kieselsol and 2 big packets of chitosan.
Instructions call for adding 1 of the small packages of kieselsol, then wait 24 hours and then add the 2 packages of chitosan and finally 1 hour later the 2nd small package of kieselsol.

Other kit manufacturers only add a single package (sometimes 2) of chitosan (like Winexpert) and my assumption is that it is because you add bentonite at the beginning.

What do you guys think? These 2 packages of chitosan are a bit bigger than what I've seen in other kits.....wondering if 1 would be sufficient.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
They (Vinco, Passport) whoever they are these days did the same thing with the LR Gerwurz-Riesling-Chardonnay and it cleared just fine using one pack of each. I did wait the 24hours between adding the kieselsol and the chitosan. As long as it is properly degassed, warm etc it should clear just fine with the single dose. Use the extra as a backup.

Just racked this kit, SG went to 0.992.
After adding fpack, SG went up to 1.002, right on the good spot for me.

The kit came with 2 small packets of kieselsol and 2 big packets of chitosan.
Instructions call for adding 1 of the small packages of kieselsol, then wait 24 hours and then add the 2 packages of chitosan and finally 1 hour later the 2nd small package of kieselsol.

Other kit manufacturers only add a single package (sometimes 2) of chitosan (like Winexpert) and my assumption is that it is because you add bentonite at the beginning.

What do you guys think? These 2 packages of chitosan are a bit bigger than what I've seen in other kits.....wondering if 1 would be sufficient.

Thoughts?

Well... I followed the instructions on mine and it turned out well. Chitosan and kieselsol are opposite charged so I presume the second kieselsol is sort of like a double dose, and mine did end up nice and clear. I would be inclined to follow their instructions on this since I suspect they put in large packs of fining because they had some problem clearing these in trials.

This post has a picture of a bottle prior to filtering as this was leftover from racking down to a 5 gallon carboy:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=568123&postcount=5

I don't think it could have been any clearer.

Jeff

Thanks guys.

I thought that the kielosol (first one to add) should be not necessary when you use bentonite in primary.
At least that is what I've seen with the WE kits and confirmed by my online vendor.

I added the kielosol small pack and will add the chitosan tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back