Paint

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok,

Just getting used to a Flat Forehead from banging it against a wall.

I have a crusher that is about 17 years old. It is getting pockets of rust and now needs a little refinishing. The area of rust is inside the hopper where the most contact occurs with the grapes.

I have read about a food grade, two part epoxy paint that comes in spray cans, but i'll be darned if I can find it for sale anywhere..

What is your folk's experience with refinishing metal equipment? any paint recomendations would be greatly appriciated!

They do make an epoxy spray paint that is usually marketed for refinishing metal appliances. I used it on an old dryer that had some ugly rust spots on it and it worked great. I wouldn't trust it to be food grade though.

I think I've seen a post on here about someone that sells a food grade epoxy paint though. Hopefully they will chime in.

JohnT, have you considered powder metal coating the piece? It is a much more durable finish than paint and is food safe. You should be able to find that service in NJ.

I believe Dan-Runningwolf- had posted a year ago that Presque Isle carries the spray epoxy for finishing food grade winery equipment. Look for a post by him on that or check their site out.

One option you might consider is calling a couple of local wineries and asking them what do they do. I advise calling several as everyone has their own peculiar methods and you will be able to choose the one that works for you. Personally, I am very curious what you decide to do and the pros/cons of your options. Keep us posted!

JohnT, have you considered powder metal coating the piece? It is a much more durable finish than paint and is food safe. You should be able to find that service in NJ.

Ya know, I have considered that. I would like to get both the crusher and (especially) the pan from my hydrolic press coated.

I just figured that this would be expensive.

JohnT, it is more expensive than paint. I used to restore antique cars and I used powder metal when ever I could for durability, e.g. frames. The number of colors and finishes available is extensive. It does cost but it lasts and you only have to do it once.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back