Pail size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taught by a professional winemaker to hydrate first with water and goferm. Then acclimate culture with small additions of juice 3 times 15 minutes apart. Pitch and gently stir in. Has always worked well for me.

I follow the instructions on the packet and let it rip, the only issue I seem to have lately is not reaching a SG of less then .96-.94 and my wine taste in the fruity side. I’m a fan of 212 & 1122.

I have never rehydrated yeast for any kits. It's simply not necessary. If you do rehydrate in the recommended 104°-109° water, you want to watch the temperature difference between the rehydrated yeast and the must. A temperature difference of 20° or more will shock the yeast and most likely kill most of them. If your yeast cools down to say 90° and you add it to 65° must, you're probably not going to see any fermentation.

Okay, Guys. I am adventurous and I will give both methods (Scooter68's and 1d10t's) a try on my Fall lineup and do a comparison with my method. I plan to make Chenin Blanc from California juice. I was going to make a triple batch but I will make three single batches and compare. Thanks for the info. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Back