Pail size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you buy a 6 gallon pail of fresh juice, do you feel the need to put it into a larger vessel or just pitch the yeast in the bucket that it came in.

WV

I put it into my primary bucket that is 8 gal.
I'm asking this question because last year I used the 6 gallon buckets with no issues. Someone recently gave me a stiff warning that I risk the juice overflowing. Do you find that your juice level rises very much in your 8 gallon vessel?

My buckets came less than half an inch from the top. The BM4X4 Yeast would have reached the lid for sure. I have stir bars in my buckets to keep the yeast circulated and a constant degassing so I have little 'mountains' over the stir bars where it foams.

You can set everything 'ready' then draw off 1 or 2 gallons into a smaller fermentation bucket. When things in both containers are about wrapped up you can rack into the carboy.

Unless you have a lifting device or just feel like lifting about 70 lbs or more - I'd downsize into two smaller more manageable containers.

My buckets came less than half an inch from the top. The BM4X4 Yeast would have reached the lid for sure. I have stir bars in my buckets to keep the yeast circulated and a constant degassing so I have little 'mountains' over the stir bars where it foams.
Is BM4X4 a very active yeast? I have primarily used EC1119. This year I am getting a bucket of Chianti and I think BM4X4 might be a good choice. Comments?

You can set everything 'ready' then draw off 1 or 2 gallons into a smaller fermentation bucket. When things in both containers are about wrapped up you can rack into the carboy.

Unless you have a lifting device or just feel like lifting about 70 lbs or more - I'd downsize into two smaller more manageable containers.
My primary buckets are situated so I can simply rack into the carboy when ready.

Is BM4X4 a very active yeast? I have primarily used EC1119. This year I am getting a bucket of Chianti and I think BM4X4 might be a good choice. Comments?
I'm pretty new myself but both buckets of merlot have a bit of a head to them. I reconstituted with GoFerm and both were pretty healthy after 24 hours. I usually just drop the sanitized hydrometer into the bucket but there was enough foam I felt it would be too hard to get a good reading and I really didn't need a reading.

I'm pretty new myself but both buckets of merlot have a bit of a head to them. I reconstituted with GoFerm and both were pretty healthy after 24 hours. I usually just drop the sanitized hydrometer into the bucket but there was enough foam I felt it would be too hard to get a good reading and I really didn't need a reading.
Let me clarify. You mentioned reconstituting. Is this a kit or a pail of fresh juice?

GoFerm is used to hydrate yeast. I guess I should have been a little more clear. I follow my context even if no one else does. Basically that means I gave my yeast the best start I could.

GoFerm is used to hydrate yeast. I guess I should have been a little more clear. I follow my context even if no one else does. Basically that means I gave my yeast the best start I could.
Go ferm sounds like a yeast nutrient. I understand. But you have not answered my question. Are you using bucket of fresh juice or is it a kit out of a bag.

Fresh juice. And no, Goferm is not exactly a yeast nutrient as such.
Hmmmm....this is what I found...

Go-Ferm Protect is a natural yeast nutrient that is added to the yeast hydration water before adding your selected yeast strain. Its complex formula provides your yeast with the proper sterols, unsaturated fatty acids and micronutrients needed to begin fermentation in optimal shape.

I do a lot of buckets, South American in the Spring and California/Italy in the Fall. I normally make multiple bucket batches, i.e. I use either 2, 3 or sometimes 4 buckets. I have 20 and 32 gallon Brute fermenters so even with 4 buckets, there is no problem. Whether one could ferment in the 6 gallon bucket that the juice is packed or not, to me, would depend on the vigor of the fermentation. My experience is that this many variables, e.g. vintage year, grape varieties, temperature, humidity, amount of juice in the bucket and yeasts used. For safety sake, I would not risk fermenting in the shipping container. Some say they have done it without negative consequence and that is no guarantee that it will work every time. Once could walk safely through a minefield but I would not recommend it as a practice.

Also, I place my fermenters on an elevated bench and I can still hoist the buckets to pour them into the fermenter. I am in my late 70's and it is getting harder to do so. This year I am contemplating using a transfer pump or to ladle out a few gallons with a stainless steel sauce pan before pouring the remainder into the fermenters. I have spigots on all of my fermenters so transfer to the carboys is very straight forward.

We do 20+ pails at a time both spring and fall. I find it necessary to pull about 1 gallon from each when fermenting in the pail. We usually have enough of same varietal or similar to combine into another pail for primary. I always pitch yeast into the full 6 gallons and a day or so in pull off the gallon. Generally use 6 gallon carboys so combine everything back when moving to glass.

We do 20+ pails at a time both spring and fall. I find it necessary to pull about 1 gallon from each when fermenting in the pail. We usually have enough of same varietal or similar to combine into another pail for primary. I always pitch yeast into the full 6 gallons and a day or so in pull off the gallon. Generally use 6 gallon carboys so combine everything back when moving to glass.
Speaking of pitching your yeast. Do you sprinkle and leave it, sprinkle and stir or hydrate and stir? I’ve heard people swear by all three.

Speaking of pitching your yeast. Do you sprinkle and leave it, sprinkle and stir or hydrate and stir? I’ve heard people swear by all three.

I admit this is a confusing subject. Some people swear that one has to hydrate the yeast before adding it to the must, some "expert" specifically say to sprinkle and let it alone and others mix it in. Personally, I don't see why all three methods would not work. The question is, I guess, which is best? I sprinkle on top and let it be. Works for me and I am sure the other methods work for those who use them.

I would say the short answer to your question is "yes." And it probably does not matter which method one uses.

I'll chime in here and tell of the I've settled on BUT those are under specific circumstances.
Each time I prepare a 'standard' starter mix for my yeast
> 2 oz water microwaved for 20 seconds (Warm in the glass but nowhere near too hot to hold.)
> 1oz wine must
> 1/8 - 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
> 1/32 tsp Fermaid K (Not even 1/4 of my 1/8 tsp) (Not the intended use of this product but I tried it and it seemed to help so..)
- Mix
- Then add yeast (EC-1118) and let set. Normally within 30 min the mix is bubbling as much as 3 times the original volume (bubbles)
- Pitch that and usually with 18-24 hours I have clear signs of fermentation via a cap or light foam

My batches of FRUIT wine normally ferment dry within 7 days although I've had that go as quick as 2 1/2 days (SG 1.092 - .992) and as long as 18 days.
My room/must temps are typically in the low to mid 70s. In winter as low as 63-65 (House I'm using is minimally heated and cooled)
As soon As I see activity I move the bucket to the basement where temps range from 55-74 (Seasonal flux)

That's what works well for me - I'll not toss comments on/against any other methods. If it works great.

Last edited:
Chris White, of White Labs, is the main source behind this book as I recall. Yes, it is beer, but...

https://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-Fermentation-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381969

If you don't rehydrate as much as half the yeast will die immediately. Most of your flavor profile is set during the lag phase so don't be too anxious to see signs of fermentation. A healthy proper pitch will produce less off flavors.

So, yes, you can get a bucket of juice, pitch yeast and do nothing else and you will get wine. If you are happy with the result then nothing else needs to be done. Being new I'm just trying to get something that I don't dislike first so I've done a lot of reading and put together my plan from that. Part of that plan for me is using GoFerm and Fermaid so I don't have to wonder if a taste I don't like came from improper pitching and poor yeast health. (The yeast I used shows is listed as "medium" under YAN requirements.) Do I know if I will be able to tell the difference? Nope. Do I want to be left wondering about an off flavor? Nope.

Back