Oxidation During Winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbayan22

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to get an answer to a question I had. I've heard that wine will oxidize after you open a bottle, no matter what you do. This led me to the question of, "How does wine not oxidize during racking and processes in which the wine is exposed to air, but still oxidizes even if you open the bottle for several seconds?"

The wine can take a certain amount of oxygen that actually improves the wine — airing it out/decanting/using an aerator etc. so you can oxygenate the wine in a controlled amount with positive effects.

But prolonged exposure goes beyond the point of oxygenating and starts to oxidize the wine with negative effects. Using barrels actually causes concentration by micro-oxygenation- which is beneficial since it’s a controlled amount. the wood is porous and wine evaporates over time and needs to be filled back up regularly. The use of sulphites also helps protect from the rate of effects from oxygen.

You could probably keep a bottle opened on the counter for a few days before it stops improving and begins the decline. Whites are more delicate than reds. Hope this helps

The wine can take a certain amount of oxygen that actually improves the wine — airing it out/decanting/using an aerator etc. so you can oxygenate the wine in a controlled amount with positive effects.

But prolonged exposure goes beyond the point of oxygenating and starts to oxidize the wine with negative effects. Using barrels actually causes concentration by micro-oxygenation- which is beneficial since it’s a controlled amount. the wood is porous and wine evaporates over time and needs to be filled back up regularly. The use of sulphites also helps protect from the rate of effects from oxygen.

You could probably keep a bottle opened on the counter for a few days before it stops improving and begins the decline. Whites are more delicate than reds. Hope this helps

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Back