Over Sweetened Wine-PLEASE Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
I have two gallons of highly over sweetened Blush Zinfandel left after making a second batch and blending them to get the sweetness I had originally wanted. Bottled 40 bottles of a great wine, but now have these two gallons of very sweet wine left. Any body have a suggestion as to how to use it? Can it be used to top off if themust currently in process is still in the fermentation stage? Is it best to just discard it!! Heavens...a real no no certainly on this blog site! Not sure if such a sweet wine would be any good for cooking. Really not sure what to do. Please help!
smiley5.gif

NO! NO! Never throw it away. It can be used to backsweeten! I would bottle it and use it for that purpose.

Save it for summer spritzers! It's much too sweet, so serve it cold with a bit of club soda while sitting on a deck in the summer heat. Or you could use it as a base for a Blush Sangria with citrus and melon as the fruit.

Or you could make another batch like you did to before to blend. It will give you a finished wine just a bit less sweet then your current blended wine.

All good ideas above.

True! So many choices!The additional batch and the spritzer ideas are very tempting!l am aprehensive about topping off dry wines with sweet ones!

if you topped it off before stabilizing it could continue to ferment out to dry. You just would have to be aware of what strain yeast you were using and what its tolerances are. When you transfer to secondary the first time would be the ideal time in my opinion to use your overly sweet wine.

Latest posts

Back