Mosti Mondiale Outback Shiraz Mondiale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Iknow someone on this forum started the Outback Shiraz Mondiale with Raisins AMJE033. ( I thought it may havebeen masta) I'm looking at my next kit purchases, and even though it may be to early to tell, was wanting some feed back on this one. Thanks!

I have the kit and will be starting it today so I don't have any feedback yet.

Started my Shiraz yesterday and the kit is huge since it is all juice (6 gallons) and I proceeded carefully getting the bag out of the box and pouring it into the primary.

My boy Hunter tasted the juice and red raisinswith me and we both agreed it was very good. Starting adjusted SG was 1.103 which is right on target as Mosti says the ABVof the finished wine is 14.5%.
smiley20.gif

Daily stirring is required due to the added red raisins and here is picture before stirring tonight. The fermentation is very active for only 24 hrs old and plenty of CO2 being released.

20070227_182750_MM-Shiraz_02270.JPG

Edited by: masta

14.5% out of a kit without bumping it up, thats impressive! Is that as
high as they go? That looks awesome Masta! Is there ever any hint of
raison taste when finished as I did an apple wine and I added
raisons(how much I really dont remember) but I didnt think it was too
much and I tasted the raisons afterward which I really didnt want to!
Just wanted to give it more body!

This is the highest starting SG I have seen in a non-ice wine stylekit and the raisins are matched to complement it so time will tell.

Well I came home tonight and found a small mess with my Shiraz batch.
smiley7.gif

I checked on it this morning and didn't listen to that little voice in my head that said "snap down the cover and add ablow-off tube" since I saw it was foaming up. Snapping the lid down and leaving the airlock in could potentially be a big mistake since if the airlock plugs the pressure would blow it out followed by a stream of purple foam or worst case pop the lid off!

20070228_163305_Shiraz_Mess_Med.JPG

I know this happened to jsmahoney with her Amarone Batch and here is the response from Mosti vis George:

I just got this from Matteo Meglioli, technical services at MM. I think now we know why it is important to stir ALL wine kits that have raisins or grape packs!

The 8 gal or 30lt fermenter it should be enough to holding the fermenting kit.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
During the first 3-5 days of fermentation is a good practice mix daily the fermenting kit to brake an avoid the recreation of the crust on top of the juice, especially if there are raisins inside. The crust on top creates an effect like a volcano and that’s the result.<O:p></O:p>
What the temperature of the fermenting room and temperature of the juice?<O:p></O:p>
If the temperature is too high could be another reason.<O:p></O:p>
Is the first time somebody report to me something like that, please keep me inform if you have other similar complain, anyway I will start a kit this afternoon to see if it does the same!<O:p></O:p>
Regards,<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Matteo Meglioli.

<O:p>Thetemperature in my room is 70 degrees and batchwas stirred twice a day to keep the cap or crust broke. Batch temp tonight was 80 degrees.

I will be ordering a 10 gal fermenter since I see this as the best way to avoid this issue again. I have thought about it when making a Crushendo due to the increased volume and lack of head space.</O:p>Edited by: masta

Thanks masta! Actually I don't feel so bad/dumb now! It is a sorry sight to see such a thing, especially knowing that you have just lost, (I lost 5 bottles), of good quality wine.

Yet, remember, on my Master addition wine, it had reached an 82 degree temperature with a room temperture of 62. Yet it did not over flow; I also didn't have the heat belt on either.

I will also check into ordering a 10 gallon fermenter, for I do plan on purchaseing more of the MM kits.

Don't forget to lick the rim!
smiley36.gif
Looks yummy!

The bulk of all the canadian retailers, at least the ones out west here do not even sell those fermenters that you always show in pictures. They only sell the bigger "trash can" ones. That may also be the reason that Matteo has not had that complaint before. MM kits are mostly sold in Canada.

I talked to George last night and he is going to contact Matteo and ask that question about the size and how they cover it. I believe you are correct Dean and that is my thought on the solution also unless more evidence proves otherwise.

Last night before bed I checked again and my blowoff tube was not working since the foam was oozing out between the hose and the grommet hole so I drained out 1 gallon of the batch into a 2 gallon fermenter and everything was looking good this morning at 4:30!
smiley32.gif

The foam had subsided and with the lid snapped down tight on the main fermenter the airlock had a constant flow of CO2 through it not just bubbling....I must say I have never seen such an active fermentation and if it isany indication of the finished product I am lovin it.
smiley31.gif

It sure looks like a larger primary is in order for those type kits. It's a good thing you caught it in time to prevent too big a mess. It looks like a lava flow coming out!

I will take more pics tonight and update the progress. I checked on thisbatch with my new video setup in my fermentation room that I can access from any internet connection and everything looks fine.

.....actually I called and had the wife run downstairs and take a look!
smiley36.gif

This Shiraz kit is $147.99 and all the Masters Editions are listed here:

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListAJM.asp

I am worried these kits that have foamed over have all had raisins in them. I have ordered the Port that George had on special for Februaryand it has raisinswith it. Do I have to worry about a foam over? orbuying a new, larger primary?

We are working on trying to find out what is causing some kits to foam up and should have an better answer very soon.

All is well with the Shiraz batch now and the foaming has stopped. Raisins have plumped up nicely and most appear to be floating on top.
smiley20.gif

Stirred both buckets last night and took a temp reading and SG of the main part of thebatch: Temp-78 F and SG-1.050

20070302_040720_P1010020_Medium.JPG

Just liquid in the small bucket since it was drained from the spigot.

20070302_040846_P1010022_Medium.JPG

Poured the material from the small bucket into the larger one this morning and stirred again. Volume looks fine and shouldn't be an issue.

The eruption I had with my Amarone wine as like yours, it has been one of the best wines I've tasted. Looking forward to your thought on this Shiraz taste.

The port kit is only 3 gallons, so you should have more than enough room in an7.9 gallon bucket.

Latest posts

Back