Mosti Mondiale Outback Shiraz Mondiale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Masta. It looks like the raisins arewhole and not choppedup. Is this the case or just an illusion with their being swelled up?

Yes they are whole since I am following the directions for a change on this new type of kit.
smiley36.gif
But I might have to chop them next for more surface area and better contact.

Transferred batch to carboy on day 7 and SG was down to 1.000. Scooped out all the raisins that were floating and put in small straining bag and squeezed out all the juice which wasn't much. Tasted the raisins and they were very tannic and not sweet at all which is good since it means the sugar has been fermented out of them. No pics of that operation since I needed three hands and didn't have a helper home.

Added the oak chips to empty carboy and transferred on top of them. It smells awesome and I have high hopes for this wine in 1.5 to 2 years!

20070307_044140_P1010002_Medium.JPG

That looks really good! Great Color! Almost looks like you put strawberries in the carboy!

That looks awesome!! I, too, am thinking of ordering an all-juice kit, but which kit is the question!!! Too many choices!! Update on my MM Amarone: I ended up putting in a 5 gallon carboy and am bulk aging for about six months. There was about one bottle (after we put it in the 5 gallon) so my hubby and I drank it. This wine will taste awesome in a year!!

Newbie question - why would a kit have raisins in it?

Is this to provide more food for the yeast to get a higher alcohol content?

- Jim

Here is their direct quote:

"Mosti Mondiale uses specially selected red raisins as additions to the red wine kits and specially selected white raisins for the white wine kits. These raisins have been selected for their ability to complement the bouquet, color and body of the wine kits they are destined for."

Jim, in short raisons and bananas band elder flowers add much needed body to wines.

Hey Masta,

That looks great! Shiraz is my all-time favorite wine and I have yet to make a kit. I'm getting close!

Masta!

I wanted to move this back up to the top of the stack (since I just unpacked this kit!) and ask youfor an update!

I really hate to buy a bigger primary -- but since I've had the experience of mustfoaming overboard with my sweet cherry, I found that stirring every few hours made a real difference. The first two nights still produced some overflow, but it was minimal after the first big surprise.

So, I'm wondering if you think the process is manageable in the 7.9 gallon buckets, if you anticipate and stay on top of it? (Mine is just like yours in the picture) Or, do you think I should hold a gallon of must/juice back from the start? If the latter, when should that extra gallon be added to the process?

Thanks for the update!
smiley32.gif

I would start using all of the must. If you hold some back it might oxidize. The active fermentation with its CO2 production drives off O2, but must left for a week opened and unfermented might oxidize or spoil (bacterial contamination).

If this kit has raisins then the instructions say to stir it twice a day anyway. A little extra stirring to break up foam during the most active fermentation won't hurt anything.

Edited to correct my terrible spelling!!

Edited by: PeterZ

I would say it is manageable to do it in the 7.9 gal primary and agree with Peter and don't hold back any juice. Others including George have not had issues. I just made a MM Meglioli Barolo in my new 10 gal primary and didn't see the same foaming as I did with the Shiraz. The only time I did see about 3 inches of foam is when I stirred but I might have been a bit too aggressive with the spoon.

The foaming some of us have seen can't be explained yet but I will work hard on trying to find the answer by making as many of the MM kits as it takes!
smiley4.gif

Mosti claims that the 7.9 is enough and there have only been 3 reported instances of the overflowing. I would just make sure to check it often and break up the cap at least twice per day until the active phase has passed.

I had not done an update on the Shiraz because I did NOT encounter any of the problems mentioned above. It wasa pretty uneventful experience although I kept the temps around the mid-70's and I think 80*F was as high as the must itself ever got. (Only interesting note was the label on the box said "Country of Origin of juice: USA" -- I thought it would be Australian since it is "Outback Shiraz" -- but I'm not concerned, just surprised)

I thought I would post a pic about transferring the juice into the primarysince there was some discussion about that -- I tried the siphon method and it worked just fine -- not a drop spilled.

20070604_134939_IMG_1736_Small.JPG

After it got to a manageable level, I just did the remainder by hand and found that easiest -- but could never get the last teaspoon of juice out of the bag!
smiley36.gif

20070604_135308_IMG_1737_Small.JPG

But the technique worked great!

I'm through the secondary fermentation (with the oak) and will rack off the oaklater today or tomorrow to begin the degassing process. I really like these kits and have a "grigionnay" ready to go next!
smiley2.gif

Dave: Great pictures... Looks like you really know what you are doing.....jh

James, "looks like" is the operative phrase there!
smiley36.gif
What you don't see is SWMBO standing by with HER "look" as well as several towels in hand! And yes, Wade, love that aroma! MMMmmm...MMM!
smiley2.gif

Looking good Oil...I was a bit disappointed to read the Shiraz is not from Australia but I bet it will still be very good. I will await your verdict at bottling before I purchase one though. I love the Australian Shiraz but have not tried the domestic

Just started this kit on Friday after coming back from vacation and needing to hit the buckets big time. I measured the starting specific gravity three separate times thinking that perhaps I was doing something wrong or catching bubbles, but I had three perfectly consistent measurements at 1.115! Since my little hydrometer chart shows this as 14.7% if it ferments to 1.000 and knowing that the instructions state the fermentation is complete at 0.995 or lower, I thought, "Madness!" (Madness?! This is Mosti!)

I tremble at the thought of what this will taste like in another 1-2 years when the bottles pop and still sit typing in amazement at this starting s.g. But until then - more kits!

- Jim

Latest posts

Back