Ordering Vadai Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so cheap for me, today Vadai quoted me almost $40 in shipping from Oregon to CT, and the barrel is now $158, so $198 total :d

Morewine has it for $190+$14.77 shipping, so it would be cheaper directly from Vadai, but if the one from M&M is the same, then sounds like the better deal from all.

Not so cheap for me, today Vadai quoted me almost $40 in shipping from Oregon to CT, and the barrel is now $158, so $198 total :d

Morewine has it for $190+$14.77 shipping, so it would be cheaper directly from Vadai, but if the one from M&M is the same, then sounds like the better deal from all.

Wow! And MoreWine now wants $50 for the stand!! :<

Not so cheap for me, today Vadai quoted me almost $40 in shipping from Oregon to CT, and the barrel is now $158, so $198 total

Coast to Coast for a heavy, large object will always cost you……

We need to get these being sold via Amazon Prime! :)

I purchased a 20L barrel last Christmas for the sole purpose that I would have extra wine for topping up after making a kit. I would fill the barrel after stabilizing and have 2-2.5 bottles left over. After 2-3 months in the barrel I would have used about 1 bottle of topping. After racking out of the barrel I would add whatever un-oaked wine back with the oaked and continue to age longer if needed. Got to be careful not to over oak, with these small barrels it goes fast. My first wine was in for 6 days, The second wine was 19 (and it's a little over done, however I like oak), the third was 35 days and the forth was 56 days. Hoping the Montepulciano that is in now will stay for 3 months.
I recently purchased a 40L from Vadai that is waiting to be filled.

that is one of the things I need to considering, topping off....
A kit makes 6gal and after first racking you end up with ~5.5 at best, so again it would then be a bit of a problem (for me) to top off if making a wine you cannot just buy cheap for top off.

Are you happy you bought the 20L barrel rather than the 23L for that same reason?

Last edited:
The smaller the barrel the more sealing problems people seem to have. I have all 23L barrels and I top up with similar wine either my own or commercial.

Also I have noticed that every wine that comes out of a barrel perfectly oaked after 3 months or so will fall back after another 3-4 months of bulk aging in a carboy so just a heads up that you may end up rotating some of those early short stay wines back through for another round of oak later.

The more you rack, the better you get at it and you lose less and less with each racking. I have no issues with the 23L barrel. Mine are both pretty spot on 23 liters, but they can vary +/- 10%.

I agree with Mike that the oak will fall WAY back over time. As a result, I let my wines get past the oak level I want.

Latest posts

Back