Ordering Vadai Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Vadai went out of business? I can't get on their website, and MoreWine has been completely out of stock for a while.

Had such a success with my first one, wanted to add a second.

Not that I know of. Their website has not been the best, in my experience. One of our members posted that Santor passed away last summer. Don't know if they are closing up shop or not. I just got one through MoreWine about a month ago.

I hope they didn't. I was hoping to add another at some point.

Last edited:
Sandor passed away this Summer IIRC. With a small family run business he may have taken a lot of the knowledge with him when he passed especially if it was a sudden thing with no time to pass stuff along.

Contact Zemplen Barrels

They were the original source I believe for Sandor.

Not that I know of. Their website has not been the best, in my experience. One of our members posted that Santor passed away last summer. Don't know if they are closing up shop or not. I just got one through MoreWine about a month ago.

I hope they didn't. I was hoping to add another at some point.
You got one from MoreWine a month ago, well thats a bit encouraging. I've been looking since sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and most every Vadai barrel is out of stock. They say they are expecting more but haven't to this point.

I don't know what is going on with Vadai. I have an icon on my desktop that I used to reach their website and it always worked until I tried it just now. I spent an extended time on the phone with Ruth a month or so back when I first heard that Sandor had passed and she said then that they intended to maintain the business. That may have changed. In talking with Ruth, I learned so much about Sandor and his life and I will only say if you were impressed with him as a businessman, as I was, you would be doubly impressed with him as a human being, how he lived his life and the trials that he suffered. Si riposa in pace, Sandor.

Can someone explain what type of barrels this is. Wood? Size? Toasting? We have 59 gallon Bordeaux medium toast of Ky oak.

After talking to him on the phone a few years ago I knew I jad just spent 30 minutes that I will remember for a very long time.

Hungarian oak. Same species as French oak. Med toast. Many sizes available as small as 20L. They also make a 23L which is nice for kit winemakers and a 40L (double kit). Prices are very good/excellent as well.

Can someone explain what type of barrels this is. Wood? Size? Toasting? We have 59 gallon Bordeaux medium toast of Ky oak.

You got one from MoreWine a month ago, well thats a bit encouraging. I've been looking since sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and most every Vadai barrel is out of stock. They say they are expecting more but haven't to this point.

Just went back to my account over there - I ordered on 12/5.

I received a email from Morewine about Vadia barrels this morning I had inquired about the barrels and this is the response.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your inquiry. Due to a family issue, Vadai is currently not operating. I am unsure if they will continue business. I apologize that we do not have more information at this time. We hope to receive a statement from them in the upcoming weeks. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns, I would be glad to help.

For what it's worth I received a 23L barrel direct from Vadai a couple of weeks ago. If you are interested in a barrel try giving them a call.

Sandor passed away this Summer IIRC. With a small family run business he may have taken a lot of the knowledge with him when he passed especially if it was a sudden thing with no time to pass stuff along.

Contact Zemplen Barrels

They were the original source I believe for Sandor.

I went to the Zemplin website and saw that for smaller barrels you need to contact Kevin Mooney Harford Vineyards 495-1699 or 443-271-2589. FYI, I bought a Zemplin barrel from Kevin in Sept. My first barrel, but the oak character it provided for my Chilean Malbec and now my Amador Zin is wonderful. I also bought a 6-gal Vadai barrel from More Wine in Nov. Practically the same barrel, but 1/2 gal smaller. Both impart a nice oak character to wine.

The prices are not as good as Vadai was but perhaps with more volume they will become better with time.

Just ordered 2 barrels from Vadai this morning so still in business.

Yes. Talked to the younger Ruthie..she said they had 23ltr in stock but no 20 ltr yet.

With the 40 lt she said to start out planning on a year with the first batch but taste at 6 months.
Sound right?

That sounds a tad much to me. I would taste at 3 months, then monthly until 6 months. Sandor used to say you could leave the first batch in a 23L for 6 months. I think he liked Chateau Plywood.....

What number did you call?

Latest posts

Back