Ordering Vadai Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found the phone number (web page does not work) and called, (626) 289-8250. Sandro's daughter answered and took my order for a barrel. She said they are still very much in business and working on getting web site back up.

They are just devastated over his passing. She was lovely to talk to and I shared the fact that my dad passed away at 96 years old two months ago. I mentioned that there are many many posts on the forums about her dad and how much everyone that encountered him enjoyed and admired him. I suggested she do a search and read some of the comments. She had to excuse herself twice to compose herself and her thoughts during our conversation. He was only 80 and extremely active until his hospitalization. She said they have been so busy with his vineyards that she hasn't been focused enough on the barrels. I asked if I could post the phone number and share our conversation and she was delighted. They are good folks, plain and simple.

Everyone just got an message as follows;

vabeachbear,
The Vadai barrels will be available soon in USA.
It will be called: Zemplen Barrels.
Please look for our distributors and consultants:

Sonny Kallai
Zemplen Barrels
www.zbarrels.com

Not sure if this is the same company as was stated earlier from Sandor's family, but thought I would pass it on.

Zemplen is the cooperage that Vadai purchased from. I've spoken with them on several occasions, for non commercial orders, they suggested contacting:

Harford Vineyard
Kevin Mooney
1311 West Jarrettsville Road
Forest Hill, Maryland 21050
443-495-1699 or 443-695-5380
[email protected]

Watson Barrels
Kevin Watson
1516 Line 2 Road, RR#1
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
Canada
T: 905.468.9833
F: 905.468.4937
E: [email protected]

Zemplen is the cooperage that Vadai purchased from. I've spoken with them on several occasions, for non commercial orders, they suggested contacting:

Harford Vineyard
Kevin Mooney
1311 West Jarrettsville Road
Forest Hill, Maryland 21050
443-495-1699 or 443-695-5380
[email protected]

Watson Barrels
Kevin Watson
1516 Line 2 Road, RR#1
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
Canada
T: 905.468.9833
F: 905.468.4937
E: [email protected]
I had seen that also. If you go on the harford web site, much more expensive than from Sandor's family.

TonyT on the one you just ordered from Sandor's daughter, was it the same price as they are listed at MoreWine?

I feel left out. But my Vidal is on the way. I'll dance with the one who brung me as long as I can.

Sandor had not raised his prices since 2001. Just think how much things have gone up since then especially transportation, wages, materials......

I don't know how he was making any money. We were getting a crazy deal.

If memory serves, mine came to about $180, including shipping - 6 gallon.
I know that I paid $145 from MoreWine, but don't remember the shipping. By the time you add the stand for $20 and the shipping, its probably around the same.

I know that I paid $145 from MoreWine, but don't remember the shipping. By the time you add the stand for $20 and the shipping, its probably around the same.

Oh yeah, I should have stated that included the stand. Mine was from MoreWine.

WOW, that is cheap! If enough of us got together and wanted to order, I'm fairly certain that I can get the same pricing from Zemplen, I am set up to purchase direct from them.
There are enough of us on the east coast and Ohio, that we could make it happen in the even that we can't order them anymore.

I got an email yesterday from Zemplen (Sonny). He said it appears that Vadai will indeed be getting a huge order of their barrels this Spring. My last 23L barrel was ordered from Morewine as well. Barrel, stand and shipping was only $179.

What were their prices for 5 and 6 gallon barrels?

Funny thing is I got to talking to Sandro's daughter and didn't ask. The 6 gallon barrel about 3 years ago was 140 dollars. With stand, bung, tax, title, and license it came to 200 dollars and a handful of sense.

I had seen that also. If you go on the harford web site, much more expensive than from Sandor's family.

TonyT on the one you just ordered from Sandor's daughter, was it the same price as they are listed at MoreWine?

I bought my first barrel from Harford while picking up my grapes this fall. I bought my second (Vadai) from More Wine. The Harford barrel was 6-1/2+ gal while the Vadai barrel was 6-gal. The hoops on the Harford barrel were loose and needed to be tapped into place, while the Vadai hoops were already tacked down in place. Otherwise, these barrels appear very similar. The price is very different. $200+ for the Harford barrel, $145 for the Vadai barrel. They both have a Zemplin seal and impart a very nice oak character to the wine. They were also both pretty easy to establish a seal.

Last October I bought 2 - 23ltT from Vadai.
With shipping to Houston, stand and venting bung the total for 2 was $401.00
The 2- 40lt I ordered last week were $198.00ea with stand and solid bung but without shipping.

Very fair prices, my hat is off to Vadai! Be advised folks, these guys were not over charging!

Latest posts

Back