RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin Kiwi Melon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grannytsb

Reaction score
Started it 2/15 with SG of 1.058 and temp of 75 F . Now it looks like white things floating on top and does not sound or look like its fermenting any more. What should I do?

smiley18.gif
granny

Hard to figure out what they are without a picture but as long as you sanitized everything well then it shouldnt be anything to worry about, maybe some small pcs of plastic from the primary as that can sometimes happen or even some small pcs of plastic from a drill mounted stirrer if you used on of those. I would just fish them out with a sanitized spoon, do they look like plastic?

From my computer they look like small molecules that have gathered some froth around them. Have you checked the SG? If it is done fermenting which it probably is after 5 days with these low starting sg's for these mist kits then you could add the sulfite and sorbate which would kill off any bacteria just to be safe but only if it is done fermenting and rack to glass before adding these if the directions say to rack off sediment as some rquire you stirring them all in.

The days is really irrelevant. It has reached the specified specific gravity early so it should be moved to the secondary. That should leave this stuff behind and will continue fine. Follow the directions and add the required additives now. Wait until tomorrow if you need to, but move it from there soon.

OK Racked, degassed clarified........... Why does it say not to reverse the order of the K-C what does it do to the wine? My SG was .998 Hopefully itwill turn out ok

granny

Good question, In guessing 1 is lighter then another and even if stirred will not mix in properly.

Granny, my guess is that they have tested it both ways and it works better in the order they specify.

I was not sure if I should post here or start a new thread.
I started the Kiwi Melon Pinot Girgio this week end. My mainoverall objective is for a easy to settle drink or two at night with occasional ALL-NIGHT drunks. Seems the Mist Drinkswill be a good choice for my main cellar stock.

After research and considering the advice and opinions of so many here on how to turn a good kit into a great wine, I thought to combine several seperate postings into this thread.

Based on preference, taste and choices, I added about half the F-Pack to the primary. Plans were then to add sugar to bump up starting SG to 1.068. Pitched the yeast, (By the sprinkling method), 2/28/09 at SG of 1.071 and 74 DegF. I didn't need the sugar after adding the F-Pac portion. There was some conversation, in other post, about effects of Sorbates & Sullfites in the F-Pack on fermentation. "UNofficial Word" from aofficial source is "Yes, they contain those, but, at not a high enough level to interfere with primary fermentation."

Working good within 12 hours. I waited to start this post until I was sure, so I would know whether to arrogantly brag, or humbly ask for help!

I also mentioned in another post about what a great room air freshner it was. I didn't include in that post, the great smell was for the 24 Hours, from when I mixed the kit, until I pitched the yeast. I pick up the 24 hour wait from some of the post on making wine from fruit.

Plans are to rack to secondary glass carboy around SG of 1.015.
The printed instructions for the Orchard Breezin kits, do not have this step. Day 1, (step 1), ends with placing the cover on the Plastic bucket. Day 14, (step 2) starts with racking the wine off the lees in the glass carboy back to the plastic bucket primary for degassing and finning, ("considered easier than doing it in the carboy"). DUH! If I was a real trouble maker, I would have just set a empty carboy beside the bucket and FOLLOWING WINEMAKING INSTRUCTIONSPATIENTLY waited for for the wine to move over on it's own,WHEN it was ready.

"UNofficial Word" from the official source is, "You can do the racking if you really want to, works just as well leaving it in the primary bucket for 2 weeks."

I didn't check on earlier posts about "Must add D-1(Kieselsol) before D-2(Chitesan), Do Not Reverse." Easy enough for me to follow that instruction. I will probably, change the 1 minute stir in between, to much longer, unless, I get warned from the experts.

So far, my two completed kits, seem a little "watery". Is that what is referred to as "Mouth Feel"? Any suggestions on adding real fruit into this kit, or later kits if needed. I have seen post scattered around and will review them as necessary on adding raisins or 'Nanners during the process.

Part of what makes these easy drinking wines is their slighty thin body. Wines that are full bodied drink nicely but linger and you don't want to guzzle them down. Since you are after a nice quick drinking, easy drinker, don't worry about the body, just enjoy the flavors. That is this kits strong point. It is just a bonus that they are inexpensive and really great tasting too.

Thanks Appleman, you make so much sense out of newbie confusion.
smiley4.gif

Racked to secondary this afternoon (see prev notes on adding this step) with a SG of 1.008 at 74F; after about 68 hours of primary fermentation. A little lower SG than I planned; but, based on bubbler activity way before I needed to. I'll be gone most of tomorrow, and tomorrow night would probably be pushing it too late.
I wanted to use a lower temp; but, that is what the buggers wanted. I cut my heat off Sunday night in the middle of the mid 20s snow storm, just to help them stay cool. Little buggers were still at 76F in the morning and kept the whole place warmed to 68F. Figure I save the cost of the kit on heating bills during this cold snap.

20090304_200101_KMPNMED030509.jpg

A question just came through my mind. Not for this time but future reference. IS there anything magic or necessary about letting the secondary run until done and stable. On this Kiwi Melon, I was planning on raising the SG to get a final ABV of aout 9%. By the time I got everything mixed up about 1 liter short of full kit before checking SG, I was already over, so just filled with water.

I was wondering if since this will be a sweet kit, with the addition of the rest of the F-Pac, if I could just stop it here at 1.004 by stablising and degassing, to keep the final ABV around 9%.

I dont quite get what you mean, stopping it early will make it less of an abv and stopping a fermentation in progress is not easy to do and cant be done with just sorbate and k-meta unless you want to od on k-meta!

If you don't know what I mean; probably really means I don't know what I mean. I thought ABV was starting SG-Final SG. That made me think if I stopped it early, then I would have a lower ABV. Your answer of it is a hard thing to do, answers my question; unless, you have more wisdom to share.
smiley20.gif

I added the sugar at the very beginning of fermentation, taking a SG reading and getting the numbers to be about in the 1.075 area. From everything I've read on this site, you use the very starting numbers then compair them to the ending numbers and that's how you determine your alcohol level. Not the SG numbers after fermentation has started. What was your "starting" SG number? and you still wont know your alcohol level till your actually through/finished fermentation. Word of caution here: I'm a newbie so If I've got this wrong please everyone with more wisdom, please correct me. I'm here to learn too
smiley20.gif

TinaLouise

Back