RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin - black cherry pinot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scensce

Junior
Reaction score
I got a kit a couple weeks back and after looking through a couple of the posts here concerning that particular style of kit I started on it. I had read in one post that the alcohol content on these kits is in the 9-10 range and I was looking to boost it a tad. In the same post, someone had mentioned adding extra sugar to boost the alcohol produced. I added about 6 lbs of sugar and raised the SG (I don't have the SG reading handy - at work and all my notes are at home). I let it sit an extra week before doing the second step that involves degassing, chitosan/kelisol, and sweetener. The instructions say to add the sweetener and then the chitosan/kelisol (in the proper order), however, I was so caught up in making sure I got the chitosan and kelisol added in the correct order that I forgot about the sweetener bag!

I decided to go ahead and add the sweetener after the chitosan/kelisol and cross my fingers that no chemical reactions might occur that would be detrimental to my health. I had planned on letting it bulk age a little longer than the directions said because I had added the extra sugar at mixing time and after seeing the lees, i was planning on racking at least once more before I bottle it.

My question is, shall i let the experiment continue or did I just irreversibly ruin my kit? I'm thinking not, but i figure i might as well ask the experts here for a little enlightenment...

You have ruined your wine past any hope so please send it to me for disposal..............
smiley36.gif

Seriously, it will be alright. They want you to add the sweetener before clearing so that it will clear the contents of the bag also. A bit of extra time will take care of it fine.

Latest posts

Back