Opinion on my Rice Wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_oey

Junior
Reaction score
I am trying out an original recipe and wondering if anyone can give me a pointer or two to make this wine nicer or more special =]

Ingredients:
4 cups of glutinous rice(aka sweet rice or sticky rice)
1 tsp of all purpose flour
1/4 Chinese yeast ball
1 tsp of pectic enzyme

Procedures:
1. wash the rice then fully cook it (have a towel to separate the rice and the rice cooker to prevent it from being burnt)

2. smash the 1/4 yeast ball to power and mix it with 1 tsp pectic enzyme and 1 tsp all purpose flour

3. once the rice is cooked and cooled, evenly mix the previous two

4. set it aside for primary fermentation

5. meanwhile, mix the rice and the newly produced alcohol every day

5. after 1 week, filter out the rice with a muslin cloth

6. set the filtered wine for secondary fermentation until it becomes clear

7. once wine becomes cleared then go on to bottling

Questions:
1. I have read over a few recipes, most included sugar, not sure if it is needed for my recipe since I am using chinese yeast ball which has a substance that can help break down starch into alcohol, so I don't believe additional sugar is needed.

2. I am not sure peptic enzyme is needed since this is not a fruit wine

3. I am not sure if this recipe will give me a 12%+ alcohol content, but from what I read, it should give me 16-20% alcohol content. (I think the key question is the effectiveness of these chinese yeast balls~SUPER not sure)

4. Should I backsweeten the wine? Will it taste better?

Last edited:
Although I have no experience with rice wine, our sister site, Homebrewtalk has a thread about Rice Wine that has 3700 replies, you might want to check it out.

Tom

Latest posts

Back