OOPS!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
smiley19.gif
I guess maybe I used too much nutrient?? Pineapple White Grape and this is overnight the first night!
20100212_132913_OOPS!_001_Small.JPG

I already had decided to buy a 10-gallon fermentor bucket from George with my next kit purchase. This reaffirms my decision.
smiley3.gif

My Cellar Craft Showcase Cab/Shiraz did bubble up into my air lock, but it never made it over the sides.

Wow! What a mess. So, why do they even sell 6 gallon fermenters? OK, OK, for 3 qallon batches.

admiral said:
Wow! What a mess. So, why do they even sell 6 gallon fermenters? OK, OK, for 3 qallon batches.

You would think that having a fermenter twice the size would work.
Last year I started a Chocolate Cherry Mel, put everything together in my 7.9 gal bucket and added the starter. The next morning I was cleaning the floor, under the table, all the carboys sitting next to the CCM. The baby spewed out the airlock! I dumped it into the 10 gallon fermenter and the foam still reached the lid. In case anyone is interested D254 is described as a vigorous fermenter - it is!

What did Betty say about that mess? I bet she made you clean it up!

Those sure are big yeast bubbles. Must be using hubba bubba bubble yeast with that one!

It sounds like it would taste great!

vcasey said:
In case anyone is interested D254 is described as a vigorous fermenter - it is!

I've seemed to notice that this really depends on what is being fermented. Perhaps it's a matter of different proteins forming stronger or weaker foam bubbles - I don't know. Either way, I've used D254, for example, on several different batches and each one foamed a different amount.

Has anyone used Bocksin for foam control before?

- Jim

appleman said:
What did Betty say about that mess? I bet she made you clean it up!

Those sure are big yeast bubbles. Must be using hubba bubba bubble yeast with that one!

It sounds like it would taste great!
smiley19.gif
You got it! I had to clean it up. But she did wash my heating pad..This is the first time I made this. I'm hoping it tasts as good as it sounds. It is really active, it went from s.g.1.085 to 1.045 overnight.

Wow. I have the 7.9 gallon buckets. They work pretty good for 6 gallon batches.
Hope you didn't lose too much wine!

That was like my Blackberry except that one just kept on going even when the sg was very low the foam level stayed really high. Id clean up the mess just to come home the next day to clean up some more.

By chance did you have the lid snapped on? I betting thats what you did. I lay the lid on top during primary w/ no airlock.

smiley21.gif
smiley4.gif
You lose the bet, Tom! The lid was loose with no airlock. It is fine now. Will be racking to secondary tomorrow. I think I am going to like this one. It really tastes good already!!

Latest posts

Back