Oops whick pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darc

Junior
Reaction score
I have 2 kits going and now I don't know which clarifier goes with which wine. One has a chitosan and the other is Isinglass. I am making a selection Pinot and a WV Australian Chard. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Darc
I don't know which one uses which, because I haven't done either. If nobody responds, you can e-mail the company that makes them and they are good about returning e-mails fairly quickly. I would suggest that when you open the kit to mix it up, put all the contents back in the original box until it is completed. I just put everything back in the ziplock bag and put back into the box. Then when I'm ready, I open the box and get back out what I need. Just make sure you don't throw the box out until totally finished. Good luck.

Darc said:
I have 2 kits going and now I don't know which clarifier goes with which wine. One has a chitosan and the other is Isinglass. I am making a selection Pinot and a WV Australian Chard. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks.</font></font>

Darc, I can't tell you for sure, but a little research I just did should help you to answer that question (short of calling the kit manufacturer).

"Chitosan</span>, like isinglass, is a positively charged ion
which works well on yeast and bacteria, and is particularly effective in red
wines for moderate tannin reduction."

And:

" Isinglass is a positively charged ion which works
well on yeast and bacteria. It’s particularly good for white wines, and is
gentle – leaving behind much of the body and “mouthfeel</span>”
of the wine."

So essentially they are both positively charged so it *really* doesn't matter. Thought I would suggest the Chitosan for the red, and the Insinglass for the white.

Ultimatly, on many of my kits I don't add either. They are both byproducts of fish (of which I hate). See I hate cows more and eat as many as possible. But fish in my wine? (I'm starting a huge debate, so before I go on I'll counter my own argument).

There are only 'proteins' from the original fish in either product. So really it's not even fish, it's the basic proteins from them. Even people who are allergic to fish can drink either product (i've heard). Though in California there is a large legal debate about product labeling right now if people should have to put a warning that a fish product has been 'used' in the production of the wine (yet another topic).

Either way, you will be fine. And ultimately if you choose neither, that too, will be fine.

Hopefully the first part of my post helped, and the second... well sorry for rambling
smiley2.gif

Thank you so much!!! So really I wouldn't necessarily have to use those packages to clarify? I am a noobie. We just bottled our first wine last Sunday, but I am addicted or at least hooked like the poll said! My husband and I were so excited to play with all three wines in one day that we forgot to mark our packages so thank you a bunch!!!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Winexpert is pretty standard with their fining agents:

Chitosan for reds and Isinglass for Whites

Thank you all so much, that is what I went with! Boy I have learned my lesson!!!

I have 5 different kits going right now. I keep the boxes that the Kits came in and Ikeep every thing from each kit in the box it came with. I do thisso that I don't mix up the F-packs, chemicals etc. Don't know why I started doing it this way but after seeing that someone else had aproblems I am glad that I did!

I started 3 kits at once one time. Had all my supplies laid out on the table in order. My little girl came in and picked up all of the yeast packets. I didn't know which pack went to which kit. My luck all 3 were different strains. I emailed Wine Expert and they straightened me out. George replied to me as well because if you email WE, they forward your email to the vendor you bought from as well as answering your questions. Top notch customer service.

I always put all the packets in the zip-lock bag along with the directions. I peel the sticker on the box off and stick it on the directions. I now write everything on the directions such as the type of yeast, oak and clarifier as soon as I open the pack to keep thing straight. This of course refers to Wine Expert kits. This also helps me learn what type of yeast, oak and clarifier's are used for particular types of wine for future use if i were to start a scratch wine from my own recipe.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back