oops may need help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedvine

Tony (Twisted Vine)
Reaction score
I have been extremely busy lately...no joke, I've had no free time to tend to my wine and mead. My question being, is it bad to leave it in the primary for longer than usuall. Or longer than what the directions on the kit tells me too?

Well, depends on how long. Wine is pretty forgiving.
First, which specific kit is it and how long did you leave it?

one is a WE mezza luna white and the other is a mead kit from Northern brewer

Yea I agree. You want to get it off the gross lees sooner.

Since I read it you have let them sit, do not give up on them. Get them raccked across now and continue on with them. Time will tell whether they are still good. Bet they probably work out ok. Arne.

Like stated above, do not give up hope..

Assuming that you have your primary sealed and are using a fermentation trap, there are really two potential problems..

1) oxidation - This could happen because of the amount of headspace allowed in most primaries. Additionally, air can escape ana then be drawn back into the primary due to atmospheric pressure changes. This could increase the amount of O2 exposure. IMO, oxidation is perminant and irreversable.

2) Yeast breakdown and bad sulpher compounds - This could happen as a result of not racking your wine and allowing it to sit too long on dead yeast. This can be treated using copper.

These are two potential problems that MIGHT occur. This does not mean that they actually HAVE occured. I hope that your wine turns out fine, but I would rack it as soon as possible!

Yeah - you can stick it out for a little longer - unless you have another batch waiting - then i would just start it and discard this one.

Back