One More Question!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eduk8or

Reaction score
Can I make one gallon worth of wine in a 5 or 6 gallon carboy????? I am just wondering if I sould even worry about getting the one gallon carboys.

no, you will expose the wine to too much oxygen. When you rack to secondary (carboy) you will not fill the carboy all the way up until you stabilize. One the fermentation is complete it is essential to top the carboy up to 1"-2" below the stopper. If you don't do this you risk oxidizing the wine as there is no CO2 blanket protecting the wine and your wine will be exposed to oxygen. It will spoil.You can rack a 5-6 gallon kit into 5-6 one gallon jugs though.

This is on reason wine makers have a variety of carboy's of different size. I have three 6 gallon carboys for kits. I have 2 five gallon carboys for scratch wines. I have two 3 gallon carboys for smaller batches as welland an assortment of one gallon jugs.

Smurfe Edited by: smurfe

Getting 1 gal/4 lt jugs is easy!!! Just get yourself a couple jugs of Carlo Rossi or most organic apple juice comes in 1 gal jugs. That is wear I have gotten all of mine. You can drink the cheap wine or use the apple juice to make wine. It's a win win situation.

Pete

Latest posts

Back