WineXpert On second Racking - Needs a bunch of liquid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipd76

Junior
Reaction score
On this last racking have about 3 litre of space left in the carboy, I didnt get everything out of the carboy it was in because all the sediment was getting stirred up. I was pretty careful too.

What should I do? It says to top off with water or wine of a similar type but I am unsure of how much water would be bad.

Thanks all.

Get some glass marbles from Walmart or a similiar store and sanitize
them and dump them in to offset the difference. I'm not keen on adding
water any more as it weakens the wine. Some kits are designed for this
water addition but I dont like the idea. I would use the marbles or a
similiar wine myself.

How long do I have to still do this without causing problems.

I think I would rather add the wine at this point but there wont be any stores open that I can think of.

We have had no problems adding the water but if you are nervous I would use the wine and even better..The marbles..Wal_Mart is open 24 hrs!!
smiley4.gif

phillipd76,

As long as you are still seeing some action in the airlock you will be fine for a couple of days.

For future reference, do your best to get as much clear wine as you can, but if you stir up some sediment just rack it too and let it settle again for the next rack. As long as you are not leaving the wine on the gross lees (very heavy gunk from the primary fermentation) you don't have to be too concerned about a little sediment getting transfered. I look at it this way, which would you prefer, less wine but getting it bottled a little quicker or more wine after waiting a little while longer? Which ever you prefer is best for you.

I don't top up with marbles, but it is a great idea! I just find a bottle of similar wine and use that. Good luck!

If you let the sediment settle awhile, you will be able to get more wine out of it. If you have already thrown it out, you will have to either top up with similar wine ASAP , or get the marbles. Unless your going to bottle right away, it doesn't hurt to get some lees transfered along with your wine. I bulk age at least 4 months, racking at 2 month intervels. This gets the extra sediment out without wasting wine.
Dave

Is there any action left in the airlock? If so youll be alright, if not I would say get it done as soon as possible.

no action at all. AHHHH.. I have to get wine when the store opens this morning.

WHen I was racking I was very concerned about the cloudy type sediment. Oh well, it should come out even better next time.

Practice makes perfect! Relax! sip a little wine, and beprepared next time.

Latest posts

Back