OMG !!!!!!!! What Did I Do Wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know many people on this forum tend to rack from the bucket into a carboy with a bung and airlock fairly early in the process - when the wine in the bucket has dropped to just below 1.030 but one problem you can have when you do that is that much of the yeast may be living towards the bottom of the wine and if you rack off the lees you may be leaving behind a large percentage of the active yeast culture to together with a lot of the nutrients the yeast uses to repair their cells. I would go with Turock's advice and rack from the bucket into your carboy when the wine is closer to 1.000 rather than when there is still as much sugar in there to give you a gravity reading of 1.030. If you rack too early I think that is one reason why fermentations sometimes stall.

However, if you rack at 1.000, you risk the wine becoming oxidized because there isn't much CO2 being produced at those levels. I think 1.020 to 1.010 is a much "safer" racking point, and I also make sure to get a good slug of sediment when I rack, just leave behind that which will not go through the racking cane.

Now, on later rackings, keep the sediment out of the racking cane.

Honestly, I think it all depends on how quickly your fermentation is moving on along. If it is barely creeping at 1.030 then I would rack it.. However, if it is rolling on along at a good clip at 1.010 I would just let it finish out.

hummm,,,are you greeneyed girl, are greeneyed guy...and are you making wine, are that other stuff you started with....
ho ho ho

Welcome from another Newb who created a volcano of fun !!! :)

Here is how I fixed mine - I'n the words of THE Bob Ross - These are happy accidents - in the mead world

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

Last edited:
hummm,,,are you greeneyed girl, are greeneyed guy...and are you making wine, are that other stuff you started with....
ho ho ho

James, I believe what you are saying is "are you greeneyed girl, or greeneyed guy... And are you making wine, or that other stuff...

yea remember when she was making that stuff that took like 10 days from start to finnish..some kinda old pineapple recipe that was popular on line.I think its the same lady.

Welcome from another Newb who created a volcano of fun !!! :)

Here is how I fixed mine - I'n the words of THE Bob Ross - These are happy accidents - in the mead world

WOW !!!!!!!!!

COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have moved it to another container and will follow the suggestions from you all.

Thanks again . I will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back