WineXpert Older Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
I just bought a wineXpert white zinfindel kit off of a coworker thats already a few years old. The kit had a pack a yeast in it that expired in 2011 not sure if it can still be used i have read that yeast can be good for years past the experation date. Also the kit was kept in a garage here in Utah where the summer temps can reach over 100 degrees and winter gets below 0. Will this affect the wine or the chemicals that come with it?

Also there is a pack of isinglass ichtyocolle that us a bit cloudy and im not sure if its supposed to look like that or if i should get another pack of it. Im hoping i didnt blow my $20 on a bad kit.

Dude, it's $20 bucks. Grab some fresh yeast and a packet of SuperKleer and get after it.

I'd definitely invest in new yeast for it. Also, this sounds like a wine that will be back-sweetened. If so, you should probably replace the potassium sorbate, as that has a limited shelf life.

I have no clue about the isinglass.

As long as the juice and stuff is good I have everything else I'll need except the super clear and yeast. That won't be much.

Hunt, let us know how these turn out. I have two kits myself that I purchase last year and have similar concerns. I hope to start my this month. good luck

when I get the chance to pay that little for a kit, I like to experiment.. say a more expensive yeast nutrient, maybe add some fruit to it, anything that might make it better. Take note of the smell of the juice though since you said temp fluctuation was for sure. And you might ask him how he had it stored in the garage like was it on the floor covered with a blanket, in a closed cabinet and hopefully it wasn't stored up in the rafters hope it works out for ya 20 bucks what a DEAL! I wouldn't even bother with the clearing agent either just ditch it along with the yeast:b

Last edited:
I'm getting all of her equipment for another $20
5 airlocks
6 bungs
1/2 quart iodine
a corker
funnel
bottle capper
carboy brush
some beer taps
stainless steel screen
ladle
long spoon
bottle brush
and a glass beaker

Another question but more easy to answer. The instructions call for the use of an 8 gal fermenter but I only have 5 and 7 gallons. Is 8 fall that necessary or can I simply divide it between 2 fermenters

I'd wager you can do it in the 7 gallon fermenter. You have no grape pack to worry about in this kit, right? The only danger is that it may foam up at one stage of the fermentation.

Nope no grape pack. I just worry about it foaming over and making a big mess lol.

What about using the 7 gallon and putting it in a pan in case it foams over.

I cant afford to buy a new bucket so im just gonna pray it wont overflow and place a wall of towels around the bucket to keep any possible mess to a minimum.

So I stated the kit tonight. It's a island mist exotic fruit white zinfendel. When I added the juice I noticed it was very dark even after upping the water to the 6 gal Mark. Wondering if that's how it's supposed to look

Look, I am just a guy on the internet who has never made that kit and who is looking at one picture. But it looks like it may be a little browned, as in, a bit oxidized?

How does it taste? Even before fermentation, you can probably taste if it is oxidized. (Think "sherry" or four-day-old wine.)

Without seeing, smelling, or tasting it in person, my first reaction to that picture is that it has been oxidized. A white Zinfandel should not be brownish as it appears in that pic.

So if it smells and tastes ok but looks bad will it be ok?

Just my opinion, no experience on this kit. But I have made many a blush that looked pretty dark until it dropped color during aging. And aren't most white zins a dark blush anyway? If it were me and it tasted and smelled ok I would proceed to make kit then in severe moderation try a bit more each day to make sure there is no bad effects from consuming. This kit is made to drink young anyway, but i would moderate quantity and drink sooner than later.

Good luck, let us know what you decide and why.

Pam in cinti

It's in the fermenter now no activity yet but it's only been 12 hours. I'm gonna let it run its course unless I get a definitive do not drink from someone. I'm even gonna send Winexpert an email and see what they say.

Latest posts

Back