"Older" corks

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

barryjo

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I understand corks can become dry over time and become unusable. Would putting them in a humidor for a couple of weeks rejuvenate them??
By humidor, I am referring to a 5-qt ice cream bucket with crumpled aluminum foil in the bottom to keep the corks out of the water. I would probably add some k-meta for sanitizing.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I understand corks can become dry over time and become unusable. Would putting them in a humidor for a couple of weeks rejuvenate them??
By humidor, I am referring to a 5-qt ice cream bucket with crumpled aluminum foil in the bottom to keep the corks out of the water. I would probably add some k-meta for sanitizing.
I don't know why, but crumpled aluminum foil sitting in Kmeta solution sounds concerning. How about some of our scientists? @ibglowin ?

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I keep mine in a corkador with KMETA. My last batch of 1000 was going on two years old. They had definitely hardened but looked perfect still. My last two batches of white wine that I used those corks on oxidized in about 6 months time turning brown pretty quickly. You can't make an old cork young by any means. :)

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
,,,, And the Grand Experiment continues!!! You might want to contact the manufacturer for some closer-to-home info on that subject. Or continue with your own efforts. How's about a veggie steamer??

Johny99

Reaction score
Veggie steamer might work.... I know pros that send them back to their supplier to be rehydrated. Somehow I don't think they'd appreciate a bag of 75::

bkisel

Reaction score
Wow, that's apparently an issue to which I've never given thought. Believe I'm okay with the amalgamated I've got left but after they're used up I've got a 1K bag of Noma Corcs that I bought several months ago; I'd hate to learn that they'd go bad while waiting to be used.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I would be hesitant to steam the corks for fear of breaking down the binder with the heat. I don't know about rehydrating but it would seem that distilled water at room temperature would be a way to go. I buy corks in 1000 count bags and break them down into 100 count zip lock bags. Seems to work for me and I usually use them up within a year.

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
I be had been using FLOR CORKS but the last when I'd pull a cork would be brittle and almost dusty looking, so for the last close to a year I went to NOMA CORC I ALL READY LIKE THEM BETTER, I have tried every grade I could get my hands on, the lower the grade the quicker they get dry looking, the FLOR grade I used on my hidden magic closet, so I went thru them very slowly, so to use them up I corked some blackberry and gave some away and put some on my drinking rack, so now I keep a few hundred an bottle all my wines with them, I figure it'll use NOMA CORCO'S FROM HERE ON OUT ON EVERYTHING.
Dawg

wine aint worth ruining by using corks your not sure of, that's just my 2 cents worth, take it or leave it,,
best of luck to you