old cloudy mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdcurl

Reaction score
I was digging around in the wine cellar,and came across 10 bottles of 5 yr old mead, that i gave up on some time ago. (tasted like whisky )

It now tastes fantastic, but it was slightly cloudy when it was bottled,and has now cleared and left gungies in the bottles.

Question is should i pop the corks so i can clear it up,or?

Mead improves significantly with long term aging. Never give up on a mead in the first couple of years. As for the "gungies," if you are the one who will drink the mead, why bother? Just carefully pour the mead into the glass and enjoy. The sediment will not harm you. If you want to serve this mead to your nonwinemaker friends or enter a competition, I might try to clear it, but it seems like a major hassle and could potentially oxidize the mead. Besides you should enjoy this aged mead with friends who know that some haze is only a defect in clarity, not taste.

Just enjoy it. Many of us are still striving to get our meads aged that long.
VPC

Thank you all for your input. I guess i will just decant carefully for special occasions, as i am loath to risk oxidizing such great wine.

VPC

Wine does not usually get that old around here . I guess the winemaker was a little reluctant to share a Boo Boo
smiley9.gif

Keith

kdcurl said:
I guess the winemaker was a little reluctant to share a Boo Boo
smiley9.gif

Keith

Nope not a Boo Boo. It was just waiting for the right moment to shine!
smiley10.gif

VPC

Latest posts

Back