RJ Spagnols OK who has started their Port and what kind did you get?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep green bottles for me I have to buy a case of the 350s

Don't have them at the bottle depot here and didn't see at the one and only wine store in this small place.
I guess I can make the kit with 15 - 750 ml bottles? What's the deal with using 375 ml - shouldn't it be 375 not 350? I guess it's kinda nice or cute but there is no practical reason?
I just saw these port kits at the wine store last week and I'm want to try it. I looked at the instructions from online so I know it is only half a 6 Gal job.

Since I don't have a 3 gal carboy I figured I'd use 3 of my one gallon wine bottles. I figure at day 14 as per instructions I'd rack it to the 6 gal just temporary - just to rack the less then do the finishing steps and then transfer to the three one gallon wine bottles ( with balloons for airlocks).

If an F-pack is used just prior to bottling, I could merge them and do that on the last day?

Oops sorry I meant 375s using my phone

Thank for correction - I thought maybe you were using some kind of small beer bottles I just saw today at the bottle depot so i guess not.

Maybe my wine store has 375's but maybe I'll just go with 750's.

I just bought the R,J. Spagnols Coffee Port.

Edit: (thought they weren't there - but found the instructions)

So it's got two EC-1118 high tolerance yeast - one is a sealed pack with other stuff and the other loose in the box.

Does anyone think I should make a yeast starter with one of them?
Or not necessary?

Last edited:
Joeswine, Earl and I made this coffee Port together and posted our progress here in a thread started around Jan 1st, 2013 . Search for it, if you can't find it I will find it for you.

Last edited:
any wine can be a port wine..
you can take a db and make a port out of it.
you have to use the right yeast
you have to add sugar at the right time
and you have to let it go dry.
I have never made one of these kit ports. but I think they are really not a port but a sweet wine.
A port has do be 100 percent fortified...which lets use no sorbate.
If you research port wines you will find any wine can be a port..
white , grey , red, with flavoring are not

Joeswine, Earl and I made this coffee Port together and posted our progress here in a thread started around Jan 1st, 2013 . Search for it, if you can't find it I will find it for you.

Thanks. I found it. 10 pages - I'll read - should help. I'm starting my coffee port right now - beginning steps are not complicated - just juice plus bentonite + 2 packs yeast that's it.

joeswine thread:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/coffee-port-started-rjspagnols-35843/

@Johngottshall

Thanks for the response - yeah that's l all I did for the kits before - this is my fourth kit - first port . I made yeast starters for my home grown fruit wines - really works well but kit juice I think is really sympatico to the yeast.

Edit: A possible heads up - Distributor visited wine store today in Canada - prairies - she said something has gone wrong in the production or distribution of Black Forest Port - I don't know at what level. There will shortly be a dearth of it for a while.

Has anyone tryed to make a port out of an Orchard Breezin type kit?

I just picked up the chocolate hazelnut port tonight, i'm going to fortify it with some frangelico. should be a good one. anybody else doing one of these ?

Thne orange chocolate port from last fall is deicious right now...:HB

Edit: A possible heads up - Distributor visited wine store today in Canada - prairies - she said something has gone wrong in the production or distribution of Black Forest Port - I don't know at what level. There will shortly be a dearth of it for a while.
What do you mean,something gone wrong? Has anyone else heard this, I have 2 kits I haven't started yet...

Coffee port

CHECK OUT, the coffee port process at joeswine, when good wines gone bad, coffee port and caramel port kits in tandem.:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy

What do you mean,something gone wrong? Has anyone else heard this, I have 2 kits I haven't started yet...
Nothing wrong with the black forest kits - just they will be unavailable for a while in this area - not sure how big an area that extends to or how long.

Last edited:
About to bottle some RJS Cru Specialty White Chocolate White Port in the middle of December. Smells great. It will be my first port style. I don't plan to fortify, but Needed to top up my 3 gal carboy, so i used about 1/2 bottle of 100 proof Vodka.

broges...u just fortified it...lol
u changed the alcohol contend without fermentation....fortify.
i bet its good though..how does it taste after the vodka.

James, Yeah, I realize I fortified it a little. Haven't tried it yet though. I'll be bottling around the middle of Dec.

How long does a white port style generally need to age?

Also, I'm putting it in some Belissmo bottles I picked up on Craigslist. I have used about 10 of them for splits so far, but I noticed today on George's site that he recommends to use #7 or #8 corks. I have been using the same #9 that I was using with the full size bottles. Is this bad?

I bottled my Black Forest kit today. It sure is an excellent early drinker! I fortified with E&S plain brandy. And I added dextrose. Wow. Best I've made so far. Have one in a box and gonna order another.

I'm guessing my white chocolate white port style will be ready to drink long before the red ports. Is this accurate?

Back