RJ Spagnols OK who has started their Port and what kind did you get?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broge5 said:
I'm guessing my white chocolate white port style will be ready to drink long before the red ports. Is this accurate?

Just depends on your taste and what you've done to it (fortification, etc.).

My caramel toasted port was good the day I bottled! Not too far past when the directions said I should. I added a bit of extra oak as my only tweak.

My caramel toasted port was good the day I bottled! Not too far past when the directions said I should.

Ditto for Coffee Port to which I added 8-12 tsp of instant coffee to the batch before bottling at same time i added F-pack. It was already delicious.

Coffee port continium

THE VERBAGE...............

Cru Coffee Port Kit
The box includes the following:

THE INSTANT COFFEE WAS ADDED ONE WEEK BEFORE BOTTLING 3 TABLE SPOONS FOR THE 3 GALLON VOLUME ,STIR VIGOROUSLY AND LET IT SETTLE OUT, DO NOT FILTER, ,THERE WILL BE SEDIMENT IN THE BOTTOM OF YOU WINE BOTTLES AFTER BOTTLING/ ADD 3 WHOLE BEANS TO EACH BOTTLE,LET THE BATCH SET FOR ONE MONTH AND THEN TRY.
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of BENTONITE
· Package of metabisulphate
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)

• After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give

Cru Coffee Port Kit
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give

Last edited:
THE VERBAGE...............

Cru Coffee Port Kit

THE INSTANT COFFEE WAS ADDED ONE WEEK BEFORE BOTTLING 3 TABLE SPOONS FOR THE 3 GALLON VOLUME ,STIR VIGOROUSLY AND LET IT SETTLE OUT, DO NOT FILTER, ,THERE WILL BE SEDIMENT IN THE BOTTOM OF YOU WINE BOTTLES AFTER BOTTLING/ ADD 3 WHOLE BEANS TO EACH BOTTLE,LET THE BATCH SET FOR ONE MONTH AND THEN TRY.

I was just about to post this question to all. I stirred vigorously with electric mixer with coat-hanger wires I fixed up - so much I added a campden tab for possible aeration - that was when I added F-pack and instant coffee after re-racking at the six week mark - I then waited 2 days then to let it settle and bottled - I don't remember much of any settlement - maybe some smudges. I didn't have the beans and stores are far away - and I had a small window as I had to go to the big city for a week - well maybe next time.

The instant coffee tip was very useful. I had 300 cc overflow - it was delicious immediately. So much I want to make the black forest even though I now I still got 160 plus bottles of wine from a summer of kit and fruit wine making.

Last edited:
I have made Chocolate Raspberry and Orange 2 years ago and an Ice Wine last year - give them out as Christmas gifts - Everyone seems to like them - started a White Chocolate White Port - seems to be suck at 1.01 - it said appox. 14 days - on day 12 now - put a heat belt on it and going to wait and see. Other ones got below .998 with no problem.
Looking to do another later in the year was debating between 3 - Carmel , Coffee or Apple - now I am thinking Black Forest - dang - too many choices - any body want to give a suggestion?

I need some help. A friend of mine started the chocolate raspberry port the beginning of January. I'm assuming SG was fine. He went to next step and that is where the problem started. As of today SG is still around 1.030. He told me he added another yeast 1118, added nutrient, stirred . Warmed. Still nothing. Any advice I can pass along? Thanks
Joann

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Does anyone have suggestions? Still at 1.030. He emailed winexpert but they have not responded.

Does anyone have suggestions? Still at 1.030. He emailed winexpert but they have not responded.

Did he make a yeast starter before he pitched it? I always make a yeast starter before pitching that way you know the yeast viability. He will have a lot of lees using the two packs of yeast! And maybe even an off taste. When I made Porto Corinto it took almost two days to get going and then it wasn't a strong bubbling not sure if its because of the sugar content or what? I'm sure someone that knows best will chime in soon

Sounds to me like the yeast is not taking hold. You said he warmed it up? To what temp? Did he cook em?
Dose he have any way to test for free So2?
Did he by chance add k-sorbate to the must?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making App

He said temp range 76-78 degrees.
I don't think he has a tester for SO2.
What would that result tell him? (Besides the obvious)

I bottled my double batch of RJS Black Forest Port last Saturday. I've had it in bulk aging since Sept. 21 and was in need of a free carboy. I got 30 beautiful 750 ml bottles and a decanter full of this beautiful wine. Between my juicing up the sugar during the fermentation process and topping up with brandy, I believe my ABV is somewhere in the range of 19%. It's really full bodied and has retained that "liquid German Chocolate Cake" taste.

I am trying something new in my packaging of this wine. That is, I decided to give the Zork a try as my closure. The guy at my LHBS suggested that I put them in warm water before applying them and I believe that was a good idea. The warmth made them fairly soft and really easy to apply. I was worried at first because they seemed really loose on the bottle, easy to spin around. But by morning they had shrunk back down and were extremely firm and tight.

I plan to give a bottle of this along with a bottle of the CranApple Chardonnay as Christmas presents this year.

Tom,

I did the same as you: step feeding with sugar, then fortifying to somewhere between 19-20%. I haven't tried a bottle in probably six months. I guess it's time I try another.

Back