OJ WINE UNDER LOCK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to make a bunch of the OJ wine down there Scotty. It looks....., wellll......, ahhhhhhh, .....interesting
smiley36.gif

Interesting is all that it is.
I really have fun messing with goofy types of wine.
The coffe wine is so enjoyable.

Noyhing replaces the taste of a good red but these novelty and fruit wines are always enjoyed by my guests.
The blackberry is being sanitized now and i wil pitch tomorror evening.

we have 4 going now. The shiraz looked and smelled great even before it went under lock.
Im still experimenting with the concord juice to try and find the proportion that will give me an enjoyable red without the strong fruity taste.
I will eventually hit the proportions.

Scotty the fruity smell and taste of the Concord is what many people find objectionable to the American type grapes. There are very few red American varieties that don't exibit to some degree. Even at very weak proportions the Concord exibits it. Some of the newest hybrids seem to get away from it pretty well. I have a few clearing that are very good wines and don't exibit THAT taste or smell at all. I enjoy a nice dry Concord once in a while. I made a batch a few years ago with some concentrat, some Concord fresh grapes and a few handsful of wild grapes to bump up the tannins. Keep on experimenting!

Scotty...I made a Welch's concord wine and it turned out pretty good...surprised everyone who had it...I now am making wines with my own Concord X type grapes...

For a nice change in flavor I add to a 5 or 6 gallon batch:

2-500 mil WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate
2 vanilla beans
Afew roasted peppercorns
and some toasted oak

Each batch has been getting better as I add more 'flavorings'...theychangethe jammy taste of the Concord.

I think i like the additives idea. I wasnt going to oak this one but only because i forgot about oaking in my obcession to make a not too fruity concord with welches.
. Thanks for the tip.
Edited by: scotty

Hi Scotty,
My name is David. How did the coffee wine come out? I love coffee.
Does it taste anything like coffee? Is it bitter? I like the unusual. My
most unique to date is a Guava/Tamarind wine and an Asian Tropical
made with Lychee and other tropical fruit. Due to be bottled in January.
If the coffee wine was good would you mind sharing recipe?

s.arkvinomaker said:
Hi Scotty,
My name is David. How did the coffee wine come out? I love coffee.
Does it taste anything like coffee? Is it bitter? I like the unusual. My
most unique to date is a Guava/Tamarind wine and an Asian Tropical
made with Lychee and other tropical fruit. Due to be bottled in January.
If the coffee wine was good would you mind sharing recipe?

The coffee wine tastes like coffee with some sugar in it. It is a novelty wine as we call it.
Everyone liked it.
I will soon make another small batch. Maybe one gallon so i can backsweeten it with artificial sweetner. I want a friend with diabedes to taste it. He doesn't drink any alcohol and avoids all sugar but liked the coffee wine as a treat.Edited by: scotty

BACK TO THEOJ WINE

We just finished making final acid, flavor and backsweetning adjustments.
We are very pleased with the taste. This 6 gallon batch gave us nightmares.
Before pitching the yeast we adjusted the acid as called for in making a white fruit wine.

After the fermentation stopped, we did our routine acid test again.
It was 1 wow.
We treated it with calcium carbonate and after looking at the mess, a couple of rackings and another acid adjustment with acid blend, we have a .657 or something in that area.

I'm re writing this because I truly believe that the cheap frozen concentrate was loaded withground up skins to the point that a tremendous amount of acid was released during fermentation.
This may betotally incorrect but it is the only reason i can come up witfor an increase in acidity during fermentation.

Next batch of OJwine will be pulp free tropicana fresh squeeze.

You are correct that acid releases during fermentation and this is why i do not adjust until racking into carboy, especially if using fruits cause the acid in the fruit would be evident until pectic enzyme has done its thing.

We managed to save the orange wine and it turned out beutifully. Slight orange flovor and sweetened just right. Not too much alcohol taste, but just enough to say it is wine. We are very pleased with the outcome.
smiley32.gif
We have it sealed and aging now. It will sit until we have another bottling party, which may be soon.
smiley17.gif
We have Australian Shiraz and blackberry wines to finish yet....then there are the fruit coctail and white grape
peach in the wine room ready to be bottled. We plan on a wild bottling party.
smiley36.gif

hi,i believe i read that with pasteurized ingredients acids will bond with sugars.so an accurate TA wont show up until fermentation breaks the bond. i'm wondering how much acid a yeast can take,hard lemonade is what i have in mind.i'd like to have alot of flavor in the endEdited by: andy123

Latest posts

Back