Oh no I have the rotten egg smell in my Skeeter Pee .

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id us the copper wire before the bockskin but id do anything and everything before trying coppersulfate! Using the copper wire is not the same as the sulfate at all and is very safe, remember that most of our pipes are copper. The racking and the copper pipe both work well just be careful not to oxidize your wine with the racking toomuch especially if its a white wine. Ascorbic acid or k-meta should be used just in case when doing this.

Ok grapeman I wasn't going to say any more about it but since you mentioned it again & I'm a woman and you know we hate to be wrong :) . If Wade typed the wrong word by mistake that's ok it worked for me .

Well I do know many who have used both, just be careful like I said as the pipe has way more contact with your wine then the wire does so keep it short and sweet.

That's what I like about wine making- there are more ways than one that are correct. That way even men can be correct once in a while ;>)

I originally mentioned using Bocksin as a possible remedy for this rotten egg smell, as it is something I have read about. Since I haven't personally used it, or even seen it, I'm interested in others' experience with it and whether it works as claimed.

That's what I like about wine making- there are more ways than one that are correct. That way even men can be correct once in a while ;>)

You do get that mine was sarcasism,,, shhhh dont tell the women that, especially my wife. As long as she thinks she is always right everyone here is happy, the kids even know that. LOL

Ok I think Wade should close this thread off now and give me the last word :) . BTW my Skeeter Pee still is smelling good .

All I can hope is that the piece of pipe was fresh; not a piece that was cut out of an old drain line or something. If it was an old piece of drain with years of sewer build-up on the inside, one thing for sure..... after being in a batch of Pee, the insides of that pipe would come out shiny and new.:)

So now you know, just keep an extra vial of skeeter pee around each time your wanna use your pipe you'll have something to clean it in first! ::

Well I wanted to say something about skeeter pee and a pieace pipe and the results of using both together, but somehow the words just aren't coming together. LOL

I have made about 6 batches of pee in various "formulas" and a couple of them had this rotten egg smell, but nothing sever as Darlene has described. The odor seemed to dissipate while in the primary, and like was mentioned earlier, I think Dan, when I transfered it into the carboy, I too siphoned it and allowed it to "splash" into the carboy, by the time it was time to sample it, the odor was gone and, but to be sure I drank the entire carboy worth, halfway through, I am pretty sure, it was halfway, I forgot all about that odor.

But it did go away on its own.

So, I guess for now it is me who has the last word.

:)

Back