Oh dear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's way too early for 50 degrees. Early bud break will mean no crop this year as we are almost guaranteed to have frost until April 30.

We have a winter storm warning for tonight and tomorrow of mostly ice and it will get colder. The warm weather won't get to us for about a week but then is a week around 50. I don't worry too much about it because it goes down to about freezing at night. That will keep them pretty dormant.

weather.jpg

Wanna trade?

This is why I am about ready to give up on Marquette. Only get a decent crop about every ~3 years it seems. We almost always have killing frost in mid May. By then Marquette has been out for a week or two while the Corot Noir and Noiret are just beginning to push and still safe.

Guess I had better get busy and prune this weekend!

It's way too early for 50 degrees. Early bud break will mean no crop this year as we are almost guaranteed to have frost until April 30.

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 10.32.27 AM.png

Last edited:
We have a winter storm warning for tonight and tomorrow of mostly ice and it will get colder. The warm weather won't get to us for about a week but then is a week around 50. I don't worry too much about it because it goes down to about freezing at night. That will keep them pretty dormant.

Where do you get a detailed forecast like that so far into the future? Do you have to sign up for a service?

this is bad . . .

I'm assuming you have no snow on the ground? Even here in central Upper Michigan we are supposed to get into the mid 40's next week, but we still have about 15" of snow on the ground. My vines and my apple trees are still 6 weeks away, at least, before they begin to wake up...and that's fine with me.

Hope your vines stay asleep?

Pat

May be silly, but would it be worth trying to cover???? Some do it to keep birds at bay. Just wondering

No snow - we've had several 50 degree days sporadically in the last few weeks and it's been a very light winter.

No snow - we've had several 50 degree days sporadically in the last few weeks and it's been a very light winter.

Unfortunately, you will probably start to see them push in 2-3 weeks with weather like that.

pat

What kind of night temperature can kill the new buds? Anything below 32F? My night lows for most of March are all in high 20s, like 28 or so.

Buds that are still relatively tight can take quite cold temps. Once the leaves unfold they become more tender and can freeze nearer freezing temp of 32.

If this new spring forecast for the Upper Midwest is accurate, it could spell doom for not only grapes, but apples, cherries and perhaps other early blooming fruits?

march16x9.jpg

The question is that, what is the April weather like??

April and May look exactly the same. So, unfortunately, if it does get warm early and buds break and flowers bloom, there is probably a 100% chance that a few cold fronts will drop in and deliver some hard frosts before mid- May. I've never had my apple trees get hit with a late frost, it just doesn't get that warm here that early, but it looks like it just might this year? :(

Pat

Last edited:
If this new spring forecast for the Upper Midwest is accurate, it could spell doom for not only grapes, but apples, cherries and perhaps other early blooming fruits?

Oh, poor Florida...

Latest posts

Back