Oh dear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday we had a half inch of ice coating everything and the wind blew about 40 mph. It then got so cold it did not melt so it is still coated today. The main roads have melted, but the secondary roads are still covered with chunky ice. In the sun today it got up to about 15 but the wind chill was well below zero. Hard to believe in a few days it will be back to 50.

Minnesota has not had a real winter this year. I feel a little slated hearing about the other states getting all our snow, but then again, I don't have to drive through it [emoji51] it is going to be in the 60's next week so I'm a bit nervous. I have 6 fruit trees and a few vines and I would really like some fruit this year. My make or break year for Marquette.

After watching the video from the TV station I see why you are nervous. Your buds are already really swollen and that much warm weather may force the open.

We don't have that problem here I don't think. Pruning yesterday was a constant balancing act as the vineyard floor has turned into a skating rink. Supposed to get warmer with it going into the 40's today but I am not so sure. They said flurries and rain. We have had a pretty constant snow squall being barely able to see much and the snow is stacking up. They say rain the next three days with Wed hitting the upper 50's. Now why have I got a constant cold this year??? LOL

The weather patterns seem very reminiscent of 2012 with the very hot summer but if its one thing you can count on with a temperate climate, its that its never the same. Hopefully I can get well-matured Norton.

Same place I do. LOL weather.com go to the 10 day forecast and then hit next 5 days. We are CRAZY warm as well. Our normal high for this time of year is ~45F........

Looks like we have a really good shot at some decent rain/snow that has pounded California the last few days on Tuesday. We need it.

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 1.12.06 PM.png

It's the same here in Utah. Supposed to be 70 on Thursday! Last year I had bud break on the first day of spring, March 21st. They froze all back two weeks later. I pruned on Sunday, and they were bleeding like crazy. Here we go again!

Took the dogs out for their afternoon walk yesterday and the Apricot trees are starting to bloom, Lilacs are starting to push buds, Our average last frost date is May 7th.......

Hit 70 yesterday in central Iowa and mid 60s today. Nothing but upper 50s to mid 60s in the 8 day forecast. Buds are swelling on my Foch and La Crescent. The other varieties are quiet for now. Median frost date is last week of April.

Seems like I am the only person at work unhappy with the current temps.

We had some light freeze weather, like 28F or so at night. All my grape vines are still dormant.

Its 23* here this morning, my grapes are still dormant with no sign of bud swelling, was trimming fruit trees and i have a pear tree ( Bartlett) that the buds are really swelling and that is almost 1 month early, the other pear, plum and apple trees still seem dormant.

Last two nights it has been 26 to 27 degrees going to 26 tonight. Grapes are not budding but my peach trees are showing color.probably won't have any peaches this year.

We too can get cold fronts moving in for many weeks our average last frost is in the middle of May yikes. I hope being up on a hill and all the rock wall and rock mulch will help

image.jpg

Last edited:
We haven't had to worry about the vines breaking dormancy here yet. It has been fairly warm on and off, but nights get pretty cool and even some days. It is 18 here this AM and has been around 10 to 12 all week. It is lucky if it gets to 35 to 40 during the day. No snow but not warm. The syrup producers love it. Even though the snows have left the combination of cold nights and cool days makes the sap flow. Last weekend was the annual maple weekend and there were all sorts of maple treats to be had. Breakfasts to maple creamies.

This doesn't look good at all, but my vines are still sound asleep....

650x366_03262031_page.jpg

Most of my Marquette buds are swollen. On next Tuesday and Friday, the night temperatures are forecasted to be about 25 or 27F. Not sure what to expect.

My table grape vines are still dormant.

Latest posts

Back