Oh Dear, out of sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TABITHARL

Reaction score
Alright, so apparently I didn't do enough reading before starting this. I am inverting sugar for my first pee. I only had 14 cups of granulated. However, I have 2 lbs of powdered sugar. Dare I use it? If so, how much?
Its on the stove, so quick replies would be appreciated.
Its now off the stove, which is why I am moving my post to here, I'm freaking out a little. I want it to be good!!

I have no idea. I would think sugar is sugar, just finer. Use sg readings to figure out how much. Hope it works out. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
why not go with just the 14 cups, 2 more cups will not make that much of a difference

Alright, so apparently I didn't do enough reading before starting this. I am inverting sugar for my first pee. I only had 14 cups of granulated. However, I have 2 lbs of powdered sugar. Dare I use it? If so, how much?
Its on the stove, so quick replies would be appreciated.
Its now off the stove, which is why I am moving my post to here, I'm freaking out a little. I want it to be good!!

Any sugar except lactose will ferment! Go ahead and use it! :D

Not sure but first search the internet or if you know your starting gravity, you can add more sugar in a day or two based upon original gravity plus "X" sugar to desired gravity.

Example. If you started with a gravity at 1.060 but should have been 1.080 then you add 8 ounces per gallon. Just invert in some must. Not fresh water.

I have a feeling powdered sugar may not dissolve well but don't know.

I wouldn't use it for fear that you'll develop a starch haze. Go ahead start your Skeeter Pee and you can add more sugar in a day or two. The problem you'll have is that it'll be a bit more difficult to determine your alcohol level.

I am not sure but I do know when I was baking something that called for powered sugar and did not have any, I searched the Internet and found you can make powered sugar by putting regular sugar in a blender and blending it finer. It did not make a difference in the end result.

I have no idea how this would work for wine........

TAB,

In case you didn't know Minn is the "Godfather" of pee.

He invented the stuff. So I would go with him. But yeah, you can add more later. As long as you take an SG reading using what you have, you can figure out the ending SG later.

I forget how, but I have seen it mentioned before, there is a formula to calculate the potential ending SG after adding additional sugar.

Hopefully one of the other mebers familiar with the formula will chime in.

Don't worry, we will help you make it happen.

Best luck, keep us posted.

To get the ABV of 2 different levels of SG is pretty easy:

Starting 1.080
1st finish 1.050
Sugar addition SG 1.065
Final SG 1.02

1.080-1.050=.03
1.065-1.020=.045
(.03+.045)*131=9.825% ABV

Learned that on here from doing a port with a 2nd dosing of sugar.

To get the ABV of 2 different levels of SG is pretty easy:

Starting 1.080
1st finish 1.050
Sugar addition SG 1.065
Final SG 1.02

1.080-1.050=.03
1.065-1.020=.045
(.03+.045)*131=9.825% ABV

Learned that on here from doing a port with a 2nd dosing of sugar.

On my hydrometer I can read the ABV providing of course it ferments dry. By knowing your starting gravity and where it ends you can get your ABV.

Like I said above if you started at 1.060, and you really wanted to start at 1.080, you would need 8 ounces of sugar, by weight per gallon to have a starting gravity at 1.080

I rotate my hydrometer around from whatever starting gravity I would have used and there is my ABV. On the 3rd scale is the calculator for how much sugar is needed.

Thanks to all for replies and sorry for the panic. Well unfortinately when I was getting ready to "just start it anyway" and I broke my hydrometer so I just threw it out. I only lost the sugar and so ill go pick up right amount this time. My reading about skeeter pee has all pointed to Lon as the godfather of pee, I can't wait to try. My plan is to do Steve's version (cran/lime). Will do a better job at being prepared next time I hope. And might I just add that when I decided to open some wine and sulk about my defeat, my wine bottle opener broke. From now on I will always have a spare!!! Thanks again!!

TAB, I didn't realize your powdered sugar had corn starch in it... I would definitely say corn starch is NOT something you want in your drink.... although if you have already added it, it may end up settling okay in the end anyways. Corn starch makes liquids thick upon cooking, so it may not be that big of a problem if it is done.

I buy my sugar at SAMS club 25lbs at a time I never run out!!

How much does that 25lb bag cost where you live?

The regular price for the large bag here (10Kg which I think is about 22lbs) is $11.98. Sometimes it's on sale for around $10

GREAT! Thats all we need is YOU tanked again!
Though I have to admit, you seem to shoot better that way!

LMAO!

THANK YOU STEVE for making me feel better. Although, sorry to see all of that stuff ruined!! Going to take notes on your recipe tonight and then start again this weekend. This time going to be prepared! Can't wait to get it started!

Latest posts

Back