OAK TO TASTE?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I've seen some recent discussion in the forum that suggests wine that is bulk aging with oak cubes should be monitored weekly. Being new to this hobby, I'm not sure how to tell when it's time to rack off of the oak. I have both a cab and a sangiovese bulk aging with oak cubes (actually the sangiovese is still clarifying), but I don't think I can distinguish the oak taste in such a young wine. Frankly, when I tasted both of these wines for the first time after fermentation, they were so harsh I barely recognized them as wine. Any hints on what I should be expecting with regards to oak taste?

Oh, I've done a first racking on both wines and dropped the oak cubes back in after rinsing them off. Both wines have had just over a week of exposure.

I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out how.

Ken

20071222_163558_Oak_Cubes.JPG
Edited by: K&GB

Oaking time is typically 2 months but since you have (I think) used the oak that came with the kit already this could be much shorter. You should be looking for a slightly over oaked taste as the oak will blend in and become part of the flavor.

Thanks Wade. Actually, I used French oak cubes that I bought separately from FVW. In the Cab, I put them in during clarification. The I racked and put the oak back in the carboy. I put the oak in the Sagiovese during secondary fermentation, and it's clarifying now.

Not sure why the first pic didn't post. I'll try it again. My humble beginnings as a home winemaker.

20071222_173803_Four_Wines.JPG

I started off a lot worse then that in a water damaged basement that flooded out every time it rained. It cost me $6000 to waterproof it and then build a room for winemaking and then a room for my wine cellar.

K & GB,

I am new as well but have tried supplemental oak, meaning oak beyond
that supplied with the kit. I found that with my WE Amarone and Lodi
Cab the harshness first felt when tasting after final polish, was
drastically reduced when put on oak for six to eight weeks. It now
tastes like it has real potential to be a drinkable wine.

Having cut trees for firewood all my life, I have tasted most every type of wood from Texas to the east coast but never French Oak so decided today to do so. Popped a piece in my moulth, and didn't taste any thing for a bit, then there was a kind of a tangy taste, no toast taste, of course I usually burn my toast any way. So I will be adding some French Oak to my pomegranate wine.
20071224_155847_French_Oak.jpg

Latest posts

Back