Oak Spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a CC Showcase Chateau du Pays and am inte3rested in using oak spirals. I am just beginning to learn these oak alternatives and have been happy with the results thus far. I used them for aging merlot and Zinfendal kits.

I am requesting opinions or directions on if this would be a good choice for this kit. Should I use them as a replacement of the oak powder that came with the kit or as an addition to in primary and then carry them over to aging?

Any and all responces are appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

I'm not familiar with this kit and I've only used the spirals a couple of times, but I use only the packaged oak in the primary and the spiral in the carboy.

Unless you like a lot of oak typically I would use the spirals as a replacement so that you dont over oak your wine. If using Spirals you should know you should either use them after your wine is all clear and aging as it takes longer to impart its oak due to much less surafce area exposed to your wine. If putting it in any earler you will most likely have to transfer your wine(rack) off of some sediemnt at some point and also rack the spiral over also. Some people use a pce of fishing string and tie it to the spiral and leave that hanging out of the carboy to easily remove it when needed.

Thanks Dugger for responding. I really like the final taste with the spirals (in the Merlot and Zin) I just don't want to over oak this kit. It came with oak powder for the primary, I don't know if I should use both, or just the spirals in the aging or in both the primary and the aging.

Anyone else...........anyone......anyone......Bueller.......Bueller.....

Thanks Wade. (You responded while I was posting my thanks to Dugger).

So to understand you correctly, you suggest I only use the spirals and and omit the powder and to start them in the primary and transfer them all the way through? The manufacturer states the spirals are good for 6 weeks and to use 2 of them for 6 gal.....Your thoughts Sir.

I agree with using 2 but maybe the diust and one spiral would work fine and you can start tasting it to make sure after about 2 weeks upon installing the spiral so as to not over oak and if you pull it early just freeze it till the next win e is ready for oaking.

The kits I used them with came with both packaged oak and the spirals ( one each) so that amount of oak was the norm for those wines and I think I kept them in for a couple of months or so ( I moved them over at racking). This particular kit may not take that much oak, but oaking is an individual taste so Wade's advice to put it in and try it periodically is good.

Thanks Wade....and Dugger.... YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! I'm going to use the powder in the primary and one spiral. Thanks again.

I would highly suggest you NOT bother with the powder....

The oak spirals will typically last for approximately 6 weeks. At the end of those six weeks (providing you leave the two spirals in the wine) your wine will be oaked similar to a wine that was barrel aged for approx 8 months.

Hint: Tie the two spirals together with sanitized fishing line and leave enough slack left over so you can pull the spirals out every couple weeks and sample the wine.

Also, the spirals are best used in the secondary. Many of the kits require the powder to be used during fermentation...you have no control over the wine at this time...hence, use the spirals in the secondary.

just my 1.5 cents

Also can you reuse the spirals, for example in this case

I want to make a Cab Sauv. I want a fair amount of oak but nothing overpowering. Can I use it 2-3 weeks then remove it, then freeze it and then add it back to a chardonnay that I think would benefit from a hint of oak in it? Or would the spiral be spent. I am asking because it seems everything I have read the spirals are cheaper, but from what I can see they are 3 times more expensive. at 7.99 each (at cheapest) I can get a 1 lb bag of chips for that, sure I have to boil them first but it is hardly an issue.

I would highly suggest you NOT bother with the powder.
If the powder is untoasted oak, it might be there to help with any vegetal tastes and aroma.

I would not reuse the oak spirals, the spirals actually wick some of the liquid, if you put a spiral used in a cab into a chardonnay, you may not like the results.

Also can you reuse the spirals, for example in this case

I want to make a Cab Sauv. I want a fair amount of oak but nothing overpowering. Can I use it 2-3 weeks then remove it, then freeze it and then add it back to a chardonnay that I think would benefit from a hint of oak in it? Or would the spiral be spent. I am asking because it seems everything I have read the spirals are cheaper, but from what I can see they are 3 times more expensive. at 7.99 each (at cheapest) I can get a 1 lb bag of chips for that, sure I have to boil them first but it is hardly an issue.

I reuse them in similar wines. It says on the package they can to be used for 6 weeks to be spent. I buy the medium roasted French oak and use about a third of a spiral per carboy in secondary. It only takes generally 5-10 days for me to get the degree of oak I want. I tie them up with a piece of sanitized fishing line and so I can pull them out whenever I want. It's best when I have several carboys lined up waiting. Out of one, into the next one.

When I first used them I thought I would add a bit of flavor to a rose table grape wine I had made on a lark. A whole spiroll was in for 10 days and the wine was totally overpowered. Drinkable, but tasted like a house bourbon. It was sippin wine. Now a year on, that wine has mellowed a lot in the bottles to a smooth taste. I tried two bottles on Saturday and wow! :d

Last edited:
yea, sometimes if you add too much oak chips, you can end up with liquid lumber real fast.

I'f you're in a hurry the chips are the way to go. I just add them right in. I don't rinse or boil. Why rinse all the oak out? Oak chips are pretty much used up within 24 hours.

I prefer oak spirals which do take a lot longer and will mimic a barrel more then chips will. But like said above, your wine will also taste better a year later.

I reuse them in similar wines. It says on the package they can to be used for 6 weeks to be spent. I buy the medium roasted French oak and use about a third of a spiral per carboy in secondary.

Jim, what do you mean in saying you use a third of a spiral? Do you cut them?

I haven't used spirals much, so far, but when I have used them I broke them into varying-sized pieces depending on my best guess as to where to start. I have found that they introduce a good amount of their flavor early, maybe the first week or so. Just something else to keep in mind.

Very intresting thread..... Where's a good place to purchase ,the spirals, I only seen American and French so far in my search....

Latest posts

Back