Oak Spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I use it 2-3 weeks then remove it, then freeze it and then add it back to a chardonnay that I think would benefit from a hint of oak.

I reuse spirals all the time. I dont freeze them I just go from one carboy to another. I dont see why you couldnt freeze them though. Spray with k meta first. I wouldnt use in Chard though, use new for that and taste daily. There are few rules be creative and taste often.

Ok.... Thanks Greg... Is it common to oak a white wine,say with a light toast.I'm on my second white kit ,and neither kit came with any type of oak... En primeur kits...and is there a guide on oaking ...besides your taste buds...

Last edited:
One of the most affordable places I've found spirals (and fast shipping) is Quality Wine and beer Supply.

I also break my spirals, depending on the wine I am making, my Melomel usually only get 1/2 depending on the type of wine, and the toast level.

I've layered oak using them as well, the beauty of it is that they do not impart a ton of oak at once like chips, so I can get the the flavors that i want out of them without having to worry about it happening very fast and over oaking.

I like a nice Medium Plus toast on some of the big Italian Reds, I've had Medium chips impart a strong vanilla in one batch....not exactly what I was going for..
Here is a list of what the various toast levels will bring to your wines, borrowed from the barrel Mill website:

Heavy Toast brings pronounced caramelized, carbonized and toast flavors very quickly.

Medium Plus Toast Is between Medium and Heavy Toast. It has aromas of honey, roasted nuts and a hint of coffee and spices.

Medium Toast has less tannins but more bouquet, so will impart more aroma than flavor. It has a warm, sweet character with strong vanilla overtones.

Light Toast fresh oak, coconut and fruit flavors.

Interesting they are half the price of anyone else.

With shipping they're about $17.00 for a pair of French oak. It seems low, but I believe Original Oak Infusion Spirals (the brand they sell) is one of the brands made by The Barrel Mill - it's a patented product.

Last edited:
Tom, that's where I get mine. I asked before, but I'll try again; does anyone know where to get Hungarian oak spirals?

TonyP the only place that i seen so far ,Doug at Brew and wine supplies has Hungarian oak sticks ( not a spiral) for 2 bucks each....question for you ,have you oaked a white wine and if you have what did you use ,and the wine it was used on,Thanks.......:b

Ricky, the only white I've treated with oak is Chardonnay. In that case, I try for buttery mouthfeel and a rich color, but without too much toast. For me, I prefer to little to too much. As a rule, less oak is used in Chardonnay than in reds, particularly bolder reds.

how do the spirals compare to the cubes for imparting flavour/tannin/etc

thx

Latest posts

Back