Mosti Mondiale Oak in Pinot Grigio kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
I started a Renaissance Pinot Grigio kit a couple of days ago. The description says it does not come with oak but my kit came with a 30g oak packet. Could it have mistakenly been put in there or was it meant to be there. I am not sure whether to use it when I rack to a carboy or not. Has anyone else made this kit with oak and how did it turn out? Would it hurt not to use it as this is the way I am leaning? Thanks, Ron.

Have never made this kit so not sure if it was an oops or not. You could:
1. Contact kit mfg for guidance
2. Call George for guidance
3. Make it without the oak and add it during bulk aging if you felt it would enhance it
4.Go ahead and make it with the oak ( This would be my personal choice) as most wines benifit fromoaking

Some Pinot Gris are oaked and some aren't and contacting George or Mosti just to make sure and also to make sure you have the right oak is a good idea. Another option is to oak half of it and leave the other half unoaked.

My Pinot Grigio was a Mosti kit (Riserva Mondiale no longer made or carried) and it came with a small bag of oak chips as well.

I was a little surprised but I made as directed and it turned out just fine and you can't taste the oak at all. Its just there to give it a bit more mouthfeel and make it more interesting on the palette.

I've had Pinot Grigio come with small amounts of oak before.The effect of 30 grams during fermentation was barely noticeable but it's really a personal style decision, you can add it or not. I have omitted it before. I had a Vinifera Noble PG come with 90 grams of oak and that turned out to be more oaky than I prefer but 30 grams would be fine.

Thanks for the imput everyone, I"ll probably throw it in and see what happens. It isn't very much oak and not in for long. Thanks again, Ron.

Latest posts

Back