Oak Chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
I'll be racking today for final bulk storage. I have two 6 gallon carboys. I have two types of oak; 1 is a 4 oz bag of French oak "medium toast" chips and the other is a 3 oz bag of Hungarian "heavy toast" cubes.

My plan was to do one carboy with French the other with the Hungarian. My question is: how much chips/cubes for each carboy and what prep to the oak should I do before putting them in the carboy? Thanks.

Wine is from grapes, Merlot/Sirah blend (60-40).
Oct. 10th, crushed and destemmed.
Oct. 17th pressed.
Oct. 31st racked.
Today, rack for final storage.
Start drinking in 4-6 months.

As for the chips that is a good amount for 6 gallons for about 2 months but taste it after about 1 month because everyones oak preferences are different. As for the chips, 1 ounce is good for 6 gallons and and the chips will impart the flavor much quicker due to surface to volume so Id probably taste it after 1 week and decide then if more time is needed. As for prep., They say to soak in water for about 12 hrs and then add the water and chips to the wine. I never do that and just add the oak right to the wine and have never had a problem. If I were to soak the chips I would do it in some extracted wine and then add it back.

I don't presoak my oak. We like ours oakier especially our Merlots but Wade is right, start off with a little and add if needed. You're not going to get that extra oak taste out if you add too much short of blending.

Just remember that with oaking you always want to add a little more then you want as it will settle in unlike sweetening your wi e as that tends be come out more later.

Just racked, all is well and prrogressing nicely. Taste pretty good for a young wine, not quite there yet as far as aroma goes. I put about an 1 1/2 oz of the "heavy toast" cubes in each carboy. It didn't look like alot for 6 gallons of wine. I'll taste it in a month.

Can I add more in a month if I want more oak taste?

Also don't trow away your "used" oak chips, let them dry and use them as smoke chips in your BBQ to smoke meat, You'll be surprise IMO

Back