Oak Chips vs. Oak Essence

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a gasket on the fastferment lid? If not, there should be for a good air tight seal. If there is one, there could be an air leak there too.

Do you have a string (fishing line, dental floss, etc) holding a bag? If so, that might be breaking the seal of the gasket.

It could be that you have a partial seal, and it was active enough to push through the airlock. Now that fermentation has subsided, it might be bleeding out and bypassing the airlock.

Thanks to all!!!

Is there a gasket on the fastferment lid? If not, there should be for a good air tight seal. If there is one, there could be an air leak there too.

Do you have a string (fishing line, dental floss, etc) holding a bag? If so, that might be breaking the seal of the gasket.

It could be that you have a partial seal, and it was active enough to push through the airlock. Now that fermentation has subsided, it might be bleeding out and bypassing the airlock.

That's exactly what it was. I removed the fishing line and let the mesh bag just float on top of the wine and this morning the airlock looks extremely active. I didn't think a simple 2 lb test line with some plumbers tape would make a difference but it did. Actually, it wouldn't have made difference since an airlock isn't required in primary as I am told, but it made me wonder if fermentation was stuck. Tanks for the response and help!

I'd say you must have an air leak around your airlock.

That's all it was and it is corrected. I was hanging the oak chips in a mesh bag using very thin fishing line. Problem solved. I cook the line off and let the bag float hoping it doesn't sink and block the valve. next batch of wine I make I am going back to the bucket and carboy!

That's all it was and it is corrected. I was hanging the oak chips in a mesh bag using very thin fishing line. Problem solved. I cook the line off and let the bag float hoping it doesn't sink and block the valve. next batch of wine I make I am going back to the bucket and carboy!

I have to say from reading your posts that this fast-ferment is way more trouble than they are worth. I agree, go back to carboys....

I have to say from reading your posts that this fast-ferment is way more trouble than they are worth. I agree, go back to carboys....

I hear they are great for beer, but even though my wines come out fine, it is a heap of trouble. Going to go and get a bucket and carboy and 2 new airlocks - I have everything else, just deciding on a good full body dry red to make...

Back