Oak chips in mesh, or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hello,
I have made a few batches of wine using the fastferment and have always thrown the oak right into the wine. Just wondering. I have purchased a mesh bag for the chips, but when I get ready to pitch the yeast, won't that yeast cling onto the bag at some point not allowing it to drop into the collection ball? Am I missing something...Does it matter how you do the oak? With the fastferment, oak directly in the must can cause clogs near the valve when going to degas and stabilze.
Thanks!

I'm not real familiar with the fast fermenter.. Will you be transferring to a carboy for bulk aging? If so, I'd toss the oak in then for a couple months then rack off of it...

I'm not real familiar with the fast fermenter.. Will you be transferring to a carboy for bulk aging? If so, I'd toss the oak in then for a couple months then rack off of it...

That's what most of the folks have been telling me to do, but because of a bad back, it is hard for me to work with a carboy. so I let my wine age in the bottle. Maybe not the best thing, but I haven't opened a bad bottle yet. Thanks for the input!

Hopefully someone that uses your setup will chime in

Latest posts

Back